Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Craftsy classes >

Craftsy classes

Craftsy classes

Old 05-25-2014, 08:10 AM

I take a lot of Craftsy classes. I try to support my guild and local quilt shops, but most of the classes/workshops they offer conflict with my work schedule. Additionally, in a personal setting, one individual can end up taking up most of the instructor's time, slowing the whole class - not so online. I support my LQS by shopping there.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I just don't understand why quilters don't sign up for classes at your local quilt store. And then I see post of these stores closing. I could NOT log on to Craftsy that last time I tried. Don't know if it was a technical problem with their servers or what. Sorry, I don't mean to be negative.
I tried watching FMQ with Leah Day and I got so irritated because of all the skipping and her talking too slow. I bought the class over a year ago and they have since changed it somewhat. She has a you tube for free. I opted to watch that one. I found what I was looking for very fast. Sorry, don't need to be negative, either.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:40 AM

Oh, one more thing. The closest LQS we have is and hour drive there and hour drive back.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by pokeygirl View Post
I tried watching FMQ with Leah Day and I got so irritated because of all the skipping and her talking too slow. I bought the class over a year ago and they have since changed it somewhat. She has a you tube for free. I opted to watch that one. I found what I was looking for very fast. Sorry, don't need to be negative, either.
My videos run better when I turn off the High Definition, but I have a slower connection speed than some. If you hover your mouse toward the lower right beside the craftsy class video, a menu that includes "volume" and a couple other things will also have "HD". Click on that and it will switch to a non-HD video mode. Hope this helps!
Old 05-25-2014, 08:53 AM

I love the Craftsy classes. I have bought several. Ann Petersen is great. I also like Kimberly Einmo's class. Some are longer than others. I like to look at the length of time of each class. Some are quite short, so I don't feel they are as valuable. I wait for sales to buy.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

I just don't understand why quilters don't sign up for classes at your local quilt store. And then I see post of these stores closing.

I take a lot of Craftsy classes and not just quilting. I have taken bread making, baking and cooking classes. The classes held at the closest quilt shop to me are not all that great. The instructors are usually not the best, at least one member will have machine problems, one will fall behind and want the instructor's time for one on one help or one will rush to get ahead and sit impatiently asking can we move on now, and most important to me the class rooms are not comfortable. I'll take Craftsy over quilt shop classes any day. The way the video streams depend on your computer' settings and your internet connection. It's a good way to test to see you are getting the internet connection you are paying for.

Last edited by Onebyone; 05-25-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I just don't understand why quilters don't sign up for classes at your local quilt store. And then I see post of these stores closing. I could NOT log on to Craftsy that last time I tried. Don't know if it was a technical problem with their servers or what. Sorry, I don't mean to be negative.
I do both. Next Saturday I am taking the Beetle Bag class at my LQS and that won't be a cheap undertaking. Classes at the LQS are often at inconvenient times for the working person.

The nice thing about craftsy classes is that I can go back and watch them again and again. Or I can go back and review my notes on them in conjunction with the recording.

So far, there are only two classes that I didn't particularly care for: One by Angela Waters which did not have enough content. (I did love Angela's Quilting Negative Space, so it was the other one I didn't like.) The other by Wendy Butler Burns. She really likes to hear herself talk and her quality is not up to par imho. She is quite impressed with herself.

Which class(es) were you considering? Maybe you could get specific info about it/them from people who have taken the class(es).
Old 05-25-2014, 10:06 AM

I am a fairly new quilter and I love, love, love Craftsy classes. I buy one everytime they go on sale, which is fairly frequently. I have learned so much from all of the ones that I have bought and you can repeat them as much as you want. They are your classes forever. I started with the free basic quilting class to see how I would like them and was sold. I advise to try one and see how you like it. If you are not happy they will refund your money no questions asked. One thing though, if you are using an Ipad and you buy through the Apple store they can't refund your money but will give you a free class. At least that's what they did for me...............also if you do facebook, like their page and get special offers and sweepstakes offers all the time.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

I don't think many quilter's realize the $ saving Facebook has on the sites. The I don't give out personal info is a lame reason, sign up with a free email address and false name. I have several Facebook accounts and use the coupons and special daily deals on everything from quilting, groceries, clothing, shoes, pet supplies and even vacations. I save more money then my cable and internet cost me.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:00 PM

Four years ago, at the age of 74, I decided to start quilting. I signed up for Jenny Doan's "Quilting Quickly" class. I was hooked! I am taking many, many Craftsy quilting classes and have learned from each of them. Today, I am doing Kimberly Einmo's "Magical Blocks: Out of the Box" I had finished making the blocks for lesson 4 and came to my easy chair to watch lesson 5. I decided to take a peek at the Board before looking at the lesson. I love the fact that I can watch lessons whenever I want to. I watch the lessons on my iPad. When I am doing FMQ classes, I have my iPad on a stand by the machine so that I can sew along with the instructor. If you are just starting out, someone mentioned the free 2013 BOM as being a good place to start. I'd add the 2012 free BOM. In those two classes, I made blocks that I would never have attempted otherwise. I never pay more than $19.99 for a class. There are still a couple of classes I'd like to add. I am just waiting for the price to come down. Kimberly's class, that I am working on today is a relatively new class. I have taken all of her classes and really wanted to take this one. By going to her web site, I was able to get the Craftsy class for $19.99. Try a class. I think you will like it.