Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need code words >

Need code words

Need code words

Old 05-26-2014, 05:59 AM

Default Need code words

We are moving soon, so today I am packing my sewing room. I can't believe how many boxes of boxes of fabric there are! Enough of them say "fabric." (I'm sure my husband will think so.) Now I need some other labels for many more boxes!
Old 05-26-2014, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Books??? Misc Kitchen ??? Good Luck. I moved and I know I have TOO MUCH !! Good Luck
Old 05-26-2014, 06:26 AM

Think of the rooms near your sewing room, where boxes can be dumped and you can snag them easily (as opposed to the basement or garage, where they will be opened by someone else). I've gotten a lot of mileage out of "old linens" and "bedding," myself. Plus, there's always stuff like "blue bedroom," too. I doubt that will be the first place your husband wants to unpack.

If you still have kids at home, there are definite possibilities, too. My kids always loved a good conspiracy.

hugs,
Charlotte

Last edited by charlottequilts; 05-26-2014 at 06:27 AM. Reason: double signature
Old 05-26-2014, 06:39 AM

I'm lucky I live with an enabler. When we moved at the beginning of the year, we actually rented a large size enclosed trailer from UHaul specifically to haul my just fabric stash! We had to pull it with our GMC Envoy.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

The reason I use clear containers. Quick to open and still put a label on it.
Originally Posted by Material Witness View Post
We are moving soon, so today I am packing my sewing room. I can't believe how many boxes of boxes of fabric there are! Enough of them say "fabric." (I'm sure my husband will think so.) Now I need some other labels for many more boxes!
Old 05-26-2014, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

I have moved many times in my life and I pack everything by the room it goes in first.

Pack one room at a time from the least used or important room to the most used room. All art work from every room comes down ASAP and stored.

I pack the master bath as soon as I learn I am moving and for a while will use the hall bath. Not a big sacrifice.
Garage is next and the attic.
Family room
living room
bedrooms
kitchen/ baths

I mark boxes simply. I never get more specific that this. I leave the boxes in each room until the moving day. Why move stuff more than you have to.
Linen, hall
bedroom, Eleanor
Bedroom, Tanya,
Kitchen, pantry
Sewing, tools
sewing, fabric
sewing, notions

As long as the boxes get to the right room, then each can be unpacked as needed.

I never take anything out of drawers to pack. Take each one and just stack them on top of each other. This just makes moving the dressers easier.

The last boxes out the door and into the truck are the kitchen and bathrooms. You want them to come off the truck first so at least a cup of tea or soup could be made and the utensils are ready to go. And you get towels and soap for an end of the day shower or soak.

I will pack dishes and use paper & plastic for a few days. No big sacrifice here either. I also plan to eat eat sandwiches and dine out for the few last days.

I think I can pack and move a three bedroom house in a few days time but I start packing as soon as I hear that a move is coming so I can take my time with no stress. Good luck with your move.
peace
Old 05-26-2014, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

When I moved from Indiana to Texas, I used napkins and tissue paper to pack dishes. I used kitchen towels and dishcloths to pack dishes especially glasses and cups. Also borrowed linens from my stash to pack other objects (little whatnots and photos and frames. Most boxes and clear containers were marked which room they went in. My clothes hamper had everything from the bathroom in it. Clean sheets were great for packing things into the clothes hamper. Of course the last thing I did was the laundry. That is why I used the clothes hamper. Items including some photos were also packed in between my undergarments and other items in my chest of drawers and in between t-shirts and shorts. The mirror from my dresser was in between the mattress set. Just mark each box for the room it goes into and put it into that room as soon as you arrive. I use an industrial marking pen an write big on the box/container!
Old 05-26-2014, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

Not exactly code words, but more specific descriptions?

batik
halloween
designer name (facett, michael miller, etc)
UFO
Christmas
blues
greens
Old 05-26-2014, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I'm lucky I live with an enabler. When we moved at the beginning of the year, we actually rented a large size enclosed trailer from UHaul specifically to haul my just fabric stash! We had to pull it with our GMC Envoy.
I am going to show this post to him if I get one word of complaint!!
Old 05-26-2014, 07:49 AM

Oh how I know that I have too much fabric -- at least that is what the son-in-laws said when we moved last year !
Definatly find some code words ! I am still missing some UFO's must be in the garage. Thought I moved everything precious into the house !! LOL