Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sore finger tips!  Help. >

Sore finger tips! Help.

Sore finger tips! Help.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:20 PM

I am cracking up at the shipping weight on Amazon for the Thimble-its, self adhesive thimble things....5 pounds!! LOL
Old 05-24-2014, 03:33 AM

When I am under pressure to get something done my fingers will often hurt. No one has mention this but I like to ice my fingers at night. I will fill a ziplock bag with ice. Since I sleep with my hands under my pillow I put the ice under my pillow and wrap my fingers around the bag.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
Udder Cream works pretty well. however I like to mix my own: 1 large bottle Vaseline Extra Dry Skin Cream, 1 large bottle Johnson and Johnson pink baby lotion, and one jar of vitamin D cream. Mix thoroughly and put into containers. You will have some good smelling hand and foot cream for a long time.
OOPS! Change that to read Vitamin E cream! Sorry about that.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:42 AM

I do not remember the famous quilters name but she said to use something like preparation H on your fingers. It does work. I put it on my finger tips at the end of the day and the next morning they are good to go for another day of hand applique. Been doing it for years now.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:52 PM

MO Star Quilt Company sells a silicone thimble with a metal tip (quilting tip). The silicone thimble is very comfortable to wear and never falls off. I believe it is a Clover product but I could never find it in the stores.

I ordered one for myself and then had five friends who wanted one. The next time I placed an order I got them one each.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:21 PM

I buy NexCare brand tape. It's tan, rubbery and stretchy, sticky but not terribly so, I cut a piece of the tape a about 2 1/2 inches long, and it is about an inch and a half wide. Then I cut the piece into narrow strips the long way and stick them to the plastic inside lid of my sewing box. Depending on what I'm doing, appliqué, binding I'll wrap a narrow piece over the top and pad of my finger. I still get good dexterity with it, unlike a thimble, and it protects me. If I am already sore, I might take a small square of gauze to put under the tape, with some neosporin. I can peel off the tape and reuse it a couple times, storing it stuck to the plastic lid. I also use a secretary's rubber gripper finger cover to help pull through the needles.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by linda faye View Post
MO Star Quilt Company sells a silicone thimble with a metal tip (quilting tip). The silicone thimble is very comfortable to wear and never falls off. I believe it is a Clover product but I could never find it in the stores.

I ordered one for myself and then had five friends who wanted one. The next time I placed an order I got them one each.

Just saw these thimbles in connecting thread catalog on sale...also aunt Becky gizmo on sale for $3! Time to place an order.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:23 AM

My 92 year old mom fell yesterday at the nursing home and ended up fracturing her C1 vertebrea. It's not real bad but I brought my quilt along to work on it while waiting for everything. I found that I had left my favorite needle at home so had to use one of those really small size 10 quilting needle which is what my grandmother used. I always thought they were too small and would be impossible to use, however... it was so much easier!

So what I'm trying to say is try a different needle it could make all the difference!

I have tried so many of your wonderful suggestions, and was extremely hopeful. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:27 AM

Sounds great!
\