Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need code words >

Need code words

Need code words

Old 05-27-2014, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I have moved many times in my life and I pack everything by the room it goes in first.

Pack one room at a time from the least used or important room to the most used room. All art work from every room comes down ASAP and stored.

I pack the master bath as soon as I learn I am moving and for a while will use the hall bath. Not a big sacrifice.
Garage is next and the attic.
Family room
living room
bedrooms
kitchen/ baths

I mark boxes simply. I never get more specific that this. I leave the boxes in each room until the moving day. Why move stuff more than you have to.
Linen, hall
bedroom, Eleanor
Bedroom, Tanya,
Kitchen, pantry
Sewing, tools
sewing, fabric
sewing, notions

As long as the boxes get to the right room, then each can be unpacked as needed.

I never take anything out of drawers to pack. Take each one and just stack them on top of each other. This just makes moving the dressers easier.

The last boxes out the door and into the truck are the kitchen and bathrooms. You want them to come off the truck first so at least a cup of tea or soup could be made and the utensils are ready to go. And you get towels and soap for an end of the day shower or soak.

I will pack dishes and use paper & plastic for a few days. No big sacrifice here either. I also plan to eat eat sandwiches and dine out for the few last days.

I think I can pack and move a three bedroom house in a few days time but I start packing as soon as I hear that a move is coming so I can take my time with no stress. Good luck with your move.
peace
Great advice--growing up in a moving family that did all our own packing--one other box needed! We would always pack a package light bulbs, address book (and phone book and in pre-cell days, the actual phone!), paper cups, wash rags and dishcloths, tape, marker, roll of paper towels, hammer and screw driver, scissors and pocket knife, and 2 rolls of toilet paper! This box always traveled with my Mom--she said she could get by while waiting for moving truck with these things.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:41 PM

My word, ube quilting, but you sound so calm! And are obviously very organized. You provide some very good tips.

The very thought of moving gives me hives! I have way too much of everything and discarding half of it and/or getting it ready to move would be a nightmare. There's probably a reason I haven't moved in donkey years.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:11 AM

Color code your boxes as well! I put half sheets of different color paper on my boxes as well. Then in new location put same color on doors of rooms. Many times the movers don't speak English and can't read labels. But they can match colors. Then they will deposit kitchen stuff in kitchen, bedroom 1 in bedroom 1, and so on.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:39 AM

When I moved I simply closed boxes for my sewing room with a bright red duck tape. The people helping me simply understood that those boxes all went into one room. No need to label the boxes. Good luck in your move!!
Old 05-28-2014, 07:21 AM

I label my sewing room stuff with-Q- for quilting or -S- for sewing room or QR quilting room; and it works great; usually no one ask. If they do I say "just be careful with that box". it works
Old 05-28-2014, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
We used movers the last time we moved, before Kindle. We had quiet a collection of books. The movers used bungee type cords around tall stacks of books and moved them fast and easy. I will never move books in boxes again.
I have a Kindle too, but I still buy 95% or more of my books in paper. And I almost never let go of any of them, because I re-read books a lot too. I guess I stash more than just fabric! There's something about holding a physical book that, for me, the Kindle just cannot replace.

I will occasionally buy a book on Kindle that I just can't wait for it to come out on paperback (I don't like hardbacks) and then when it comes out on paperback I buy that copy too so I'll have the full set on paper. Crazy, right?

I pretty much only read my Kindle (app on my phone) when I'm at the hairdresser's or waiting in a doctor's office. I can't remember the last time I actually touched the Kindle device itself, I doubt it even has a charge right now!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:29 AM

Draw a map of the new house and number the rooms, ei-master bedroom becomes mb1, sewingroom= sr2. Make signs to put outside each room to match the boxes. Tape the signs to the door frame. Tape map to front door. I numbered the boxes on all sides and drew an arrow pointing to the top. If something is fragile, mark it on all sides and on the top. Saved me a lot of running around and a headache.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Material Witness View Post
We are moving soon, so today I am packing my sewing room. I can't believe how many boxes of boxes of fabric there are! Enough of them say "fabric." (I'm sure my husband will think so.) Now I need some other labels for many more boxes!
I can't believe how many people missed the boat on this one and offered actual moving advice. This lady wants to disguise her fabric habit. I kind of liked Lindaschipper's method of just putting red tape on the boxes instead of labels -- sort of a don't ask, don't tell sign.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter View Post
I can't believe how many people missed the boat on this one and offered actual moving advice. This lady wants to disguise her fabric habit.
I was thinking the exact same thing!
Old 05-28-2014, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by peckish View Post
how about "feminine hygiene products"? :d
LOL. My husband would never open that one