Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I've lost my mind... >

I think I've lost my mind...

I think I've lost my mind...

Old 05-28-2014, 04:53 PM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Originally Posted by RipStitcher View Post
Funny to see this post from you *today*... look at the two little gems I found on Craigslist earlier today...

These two are *screaming* to be done into a sewing room on wheels:

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/4481295631.html

And this one... (think creatively, now... lol) ....

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/4402863576.html
Oh, you are so cruel!! Denver is so far from Florida!! That pink El Rae is gorgeous, but I'd need to buy a pretty big truck to pull that size camper. She's so cute, though. You're right, she's begging to be glamped up!

Grrr... OK, OK, I put in a call to Denver. We'll see if it's still available.

I was thinking after I posted that maybe a vintage motor home would be better, anyway. I wouldn't need to buy a big truck, and DH could work on the engine. I think he'd enjoy that. Besides, then I wouldn't have to learn how to tow a camper.

But oh, that pink El Rae *swoon*

I don't know whether to hope he calls or not!
Old 05-28-2014, 05:07 PM

I have a featherweight in a camper that I use and it works out great. I say go for it.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:10 PM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Keep in mind that you'll need water/electric/sewer hookups - or, for the latter, a dumping station. Those things alone will keep me from being a camper. Along with bugs and dirt. Now a small cabin with plumbing and running water - I'm all over that!! While it's not for me, I've also heard of several folks who have made lots of new friends and learned new techniques while sewing/crafting in campgrounds. I think if you search some threads here, you'll find people who have done it, for at least a while, although usually with their spouse.

We live a few hours from the Adirondak mountains; a dream of mine has always been to rent a cabin and stay there, alone, for several months. Near enough to a town that I could get to a grocery/dr/post office. Having moved from my parents home to the first apartment my DH and I shared, I've never lived alone. DH, a sports and sci-fi nut, ALWAYS has a tv on. So living alone, in solitude, for an extended period is extremely appealing!

Now that pink camper that Ripstitcher posted - that is a thing of beauty!

One thought - could you rent/ borrow/barter for a camper for a couple of weeks to see how you like it before making a purchase? You might not be able to dress it up, but you'd get a feel for it. Around here, a lot of campgrounds have campers that are kind of parked there - they aren't meant to travel - on spots that are fairly large (so not on top of the next one). Maybe find one to stay in for a bit?
Hey, I'm from your neck of the woods! IF I have a camper, I'll be in the Syracuse area next summer with it. We used to vacation on Lake George every year when I was a kid. My family hangs out on Raquette Lake now.

I appreciate your advice. We used to tent camp, and I loved it. I'm just getting too old to sleep on the ground. In Florida, it's so hot, a camper with a/c would be much better. We owned a pop-up for one summer and didn't care for it. Water & sewer doesn't bother me a bit.

Oh, RipStitcher may be in big trouble. That pink El Rae has me drooling, It's exactly what I've been looking for.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:52 PM
Banned

You don't need something very big to pull that pink one!

Something on the order of a Toyota Highlander would probably do a great job.

Let me know if it's still available... I'm not shopping for one right now, but I do enjoy looking at vintage trailers.

And if you *really* want to get involved in vintage trailers with other women... here's the perfect group for you....
errrr... *us*.

http://www.sistersonthefly.com/photo-gallery

Be sure to click into the campers album.

Proudly here to enable you.....

Rip
Old 05-28-2014, 06:00 PM

Sounds like fun...I would just like to be able to quilt without interuptions.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:05 PM

I did. I lived and sewed in one for over 2 years. Its doable. And the picnic table is your friend.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:18 PM

I am an avid camper and love it and my sewing machine and supplies are as necessary as the coffee pot! No better lifestyle and relaxing anywhere and it does not matter how far away the camp is....one of my favorite sites is only 5 miles from my house. Do it, you will be glad and even better if a quilting friend can join you.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:28 PM

with all due respect. yep....not really lost your mind but please find a new outlet....or a new place to call home for a few months of the year. (voice of experience)
Old 05-28-2014, 08:08 PM

Love your home, Jan. It looks like a pleasant country home, nice and cozy.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:16 PM

RV vs Cottage...

A cottage keeps you in one place and limits your exploring.

An RV is a cottage on wheels. You get to sleep in your own bed every night, but in a different location.

I grew up going to the cottage. Nice, but I missed going to other beautiful places, because we always went to the cottage.

When we got married we tent camped and loved it. Explored two provinces that way. Then 7 years ago we bought used class c RV. I love it. I drive it far more than DH. I do not take a sewing machine, but do take crochet and cross stitch projects.