Another Phishing Scam

Old 06-01-2014, 04:04 AM

We constantly get phone calls about our credit card...we pay in full every month so there is no reason for the call. We just hang up. Also get calls starting, "If you are a senior citizen"...blah blah blah, ads for hearing aids, walk-In bathtubs, etc. etc. What happened to the no-call list???
Old 06-01-2014, 04:07 AM

Default PayPal phishing Scam

PayPal provides an email address so that you can forward phishing emails: [email protected]
Old 06-01-2014, 05:49 AM

Quite a few years ago I had done several balance transfers from Credit cards at 0%, no fee, and put the money in the bank. This was back when banks were paying about 5% interest. After a while I would get phone calls saying, "looks like you have a lot of credit card debt - we can help you lower your interest rate." I would say, "Oh? how much lower than 0% can you go?"

click.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:06 AM

I got this. Did not open it. Deleted it. I figured it was a scam.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:17 AM

You wonder how they keep coming up with new ones. I have been getting them for years telling me that I have won lotteries. I haven't bought tickets in years. Especially ones overseas. I have just got where I delete all that look suspicious. Most of these places wouldn't send you an email. Oh the latested is from the FIB telling me that if I don't get them the information they need I will be charged with money laundering. The FBI would just arrest me if they thought I was doing that, so how do they keep getting away with these things. The FBI should go after them.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Scams and phishing abound. I accidentally answered the phone the other day without looking at caller ID and some far away fellow was telling me there was something wrong with my windows PC. I said "interesting because I have a MAC". Click!!!
I got this one and the paypal one along with the USPS one. All on the same day. Hope they are done for a while.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

If you haven't ordered anything don't open it up. I've gotten e-mails from different scammers also. I do know when I order anything and if or not I have an account. If in doubt don't!
Old 06-02-2014, 09:25 AM

Be careful. I had the same thing happen. Being in the IT department I knew better than to open the links. I contacted PayPal and they confirmed that it was a scam. About a month later I got an automated call from PayPal saying there was a suspicious charge for my account for 150. I confirmed that I didn't make it and they said they'd investigate (well the automated call said they'd investigate). I got off the phone and went up to PayPal and there was 5, 150 charges to Sony. I disputed them right away and changed my password right then. I tried to email them to see if anything was being done and was told to log onto my account to check. Every time I tried to log on it wanted me to confirm my credit card numbers, which I wasn't going to do. First thing Mon morning I called my bank and cancelled my account because if any charges go thru they'll pay them and then charge me 30 each. This would have put me out a total over 1000 for charges to the bank and PayPal. Then pay pal sent me an email saying they couldn't process the charges because my account had been closed and they could see where I disputed the charges but couldn't stop them from going to bank. Bull, I know better than that. It took a week for them to agree that I didn't make the charges but I will never go back to them because of the way they handled the whole thing and not letting me have access to my acct info unless I verified my cards. That would have been so stupid on my part since they already had part of my account numbers there was no way I would have kept them. Now, I got my FB account hacked into from someone in Argentina, they immediately locked down my account until I confirmed it was or wasn't me and then also said if I used the same password and log on for other accounts on line I should change them. Yes, I used the same log on info for PayPal. Now all of my accounts have new passwords. I never click on a link that supposedly goes to an account, I'm smarter than that but that doesn't always save you.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:13 AM

I have had that same junk pay pal email before. I didn't fall for it either.