Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tired of seeing my same fabric/project >

Tired of seeing my same fabric/project

Tired of seeing my same fabric/project

Old 05-28-2014, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan View Post
Have not been on very much since I started school, in fact have not quilted very much either but I do have this one quilt that I have been working on what seems like forever. Just want to get it done but i am getting sick and tired of seeing the same fabric. Seems like I am never going to get done. This is suppose to be for my bed but at this point don't think I am even going to want to see it on my bed.
I have had this happen. Put it away for awhile or post it on here for a swap
Old 05-28-2014, 07:51 AM

happens to me all the time. Thats why we have UFO's. you will get back to it later.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I always stop and "rest" when I get to the borders... I think of them as another quilt... Maybe if you stop and "rest" at certain points of a project.. and approach the other stages as new projects it won't feel so all consuming with no end.
I can so totally relate to borders being a whole nother quilt. I finished a quilt for my little nephew with three narrow and one wide border... Next time I face something like that, the corners will be mitered so that I can apply 4 border strips versus 16! I wholeheartedly agree with stopping and resting.

Cheers, K
Old 05-28-2014, 08:41 AM

this project has become work rather than fun. Box it up and put it to the side. We have all done this. Concentrate a bit on your school and maybe make a couple little quick projects - like a quilt block that can later be put on a tote bag as a gift. One day you will get up and want to work on your project, it will become fun again.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

It happens to all of us from time to time. When I get sick and tired of looking at a quilt project, I set it aside, then pick up a different, perhaps easier project to do, then when I get back to the original, it's not so bad.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:32 PM

Since I'm usually a finisher, I get really upset when this happens, but like all the replies above we always seem to find a way to get past the problem. I call it Quilter's Block--pun intended. I think it was Hemingway who said he overcame writer's block by leaving an unfinished sentence at the end of each writing period. He would then have some place to start the next time. My version of this is to start a small project (not necessarily quilting) and work on it a few minutes a day. For me it's usually a candle mat, place mat, potholder, etc. I plan for a set of something for a gift. I take my time going thru scraps and yardage for these little projects. This reacquaints me with the reasons i love quilting. I also get re-inspired by going thru quilting books, magazines and patterns I bought. This is a wonderful relaxing exercise as I ponder which quilt I might want to make next. Oops--back to Hemingway. My version of his unfinished sentence is to put the project out of sight except for the next two pieces that need to be sewn together. I put these next to the new project and sew them together as an adjunct to the project. When I'm finished sewing for the day I take the completed piece, put it away and take out two more pieces to put next to the machine. it's amazing how fast the the units get done when you are concentrating on something else. I've done this with two or three quilts (usually the ones I wind up not liking because of color and/or technique) and by the time I've finished piecing the units into blocks, I'm usually ready to get the darn thing done! If I still don't like the finished quilt I give it to a charity. But Now I can start on the next quilt, the perfectly exciting one I found during my quiet perusing time.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:41 AM

Getting bored with a project is why I always have more than one quilt going at any given time. If I slog through a project just to get it finished, my work suffers and that makes me disappointed in my efforts.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:46 AM

I have plenty of UFOs. I also get tired of working on a single project. But I have trouble switching to another project when there's a deadline for one. Now I have a quilt to finish and blocks to finish for a block exchange. I was having trouble switching from one to the other. But this list has given me the motivation to work on which ever one I want.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:12 PM

I want to finish it to get the heavy comforter off the bed. huh.. Just want to finish. Of course now I ave my daughter graduating and family coming in for the weekend and last weekend I was studying and cleaning respectively. 4 more weeks and I am done with school. Tomorrow I go for an interview for externship site and to see if they will hire me afterwards. I am so excited and nervous. First job in 20 + years.. I need to go and take my old neail polish off and get ready for tomorrow. Yeajhhhhhh..
Old 06-02-2014, 06:26 PM

Make a couple of doll quilts or place mats for a change of pace. Then, go back to the quilt. Keep doing them until the bed quilt is done.