Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Grounding Vintage Sewing Machines >

Grounding Vintage Sewing Machines

Grounding Vintage Sewing Machines

Old 06-07-2014, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbeat View Post
Please don't be rude to me because I am choosing to adhere to them.
I apologise for coming across as rude and of course you're right about why 240V was chosen in Europe/Australia. Incidentally transmission lines carry anything up at to 500,000V (that's why they buzz).

About the 32VDC woman: Speculation as to what would have prevented her death is pointless, as the facts are not known. The higher current probably burned out the wiring much earlier than it should have, modern trip switches would also prevent such accidents too.
My 222k requires 1A at 32VDC, but the 240V version needs 130mA. The replacement motor will last 50 years even without earthing as a result and is unlikely to ever endanger anyone.

It's ironic you described safety standards as "overkill"

My 319 was earthed from new (1956). Earth wire was connected to the top of the motor connector and on the machine-mounted bakelite connector block was a copper contact connected to the machine, so there is a precedent and it was implemented by Singer (possibly as a result of that article, but I'm only speculating).
Old 06-08-2014, 06:17 AM

Overkill
I admit the irony of that escaped me the first time around!

Manicmike, I reread my post and realize that the wording was misleading. I wasn't actually referring to you when I mentioned rudeness.

I imagine the Singer grounding thing and the current standards simply happened as a natural evolution of design. Very early appliances had chassis components that could become live depending on which way around you plugged in the non-polarized plug!

Unfortunately, evolution of design has also brought us to 'value engineering', and while todays machines are electrically safer, they also have plastic gears and built-in obsolescence.

I want the best of both worlds, which is why I want old mechanics and modern electrics.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:47 AM

Anyone ever disassemble their toaster oven? Notice the lack of a ground wire, and they catch fire easily because of the buildup of grease, crumbs, etc. Probably one of the chief reasons for GFCI requirement on kitchen counters. Google me on this, but GFCI outlet will protect you on your devices even if not grounded, because it's looking for an imbalance between the two legs and will trip within milliseconds if you become the return path to ground. I use one on my test rig for rewiring sm motors and controls and lights. As well as a variac. Having a barefoot on a hot FC won't give you more than a tingle, unless you happen to also provide a ground return, like a floor register with metal ducting. Just my 2C worth.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:51 AM

Appliances with exposed heating elements aren't grounded, because this is a special case in which a ground can actually increase the chance of a shock.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
I Googled it and came up with nothing, so it's probably never happened, certainly not with bakelite FCs.
I would say it hasn't happened in "Internet recorded history". There's a good chance that there's something in the newspapers not online, or not reported in a newspaper, etc. That said, I think it's a rare enough occurance that it's not something that I would have high on my list of things to rectify. I would be far more concerned about say toxic chemicals in the home before a safely wired vintage sewing machine needing to be retro fitted with a ground.

Absolutely right Tammi. When my nephew was about 3 he was an inquisitive child. I was soldering something and he kept going to touch the iron. I warned him at least three times not to go near it and told him it would really hurt. Of course when I briefly left the room the inevitable happened. He screamed in pain, we ran his hand under the cold water and learned a valuable lesson. He's just turned 30.
As much as we like our kids to learn from our examples and warnings, it often doesn't happen. It can also create a "fear" condition if we're not careful. I saw that briefly before we changed our tactics with learning.

The 110v FCs get hotter because they draw twice the current. Worst I've seen in Australia was one getting very slightly warm.
So that foot pedal tute was really not relevant to you at all? Man, I've had them hot, sizzling and popping.

About the 32VDC woman: Speculation as to what would have prevented her death is pointless, as the facts are not known. The higher current probably burned out the wiring much earlier than it should have, modern trip switches would also prevent such accidents too.
For all we know, she'd dropped her scissors on the floor and accidentally "snipped" part of the wire when picking them up causing a failure of the wire. (or a seam ripper, or the plug was only part way into the wall and she bridged the gap when trying to plug it in or unplug it....) Yes, it was a death attributed to a sewing machine, but we have no way of telling if it was in good working order or if it was compromised.

Manicmike, I reread my post and realize that the wording was misleading. I wasn't actually referring to you when I mentioned rudeness.
No, it was probably me.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
So that foot pedal tute was really not relevant to you at all? Man, I've had them hot, sizzling and popping.
Oh no it was. I've used it twice, they don't get hot, just much less effective.
No, it was probably me.
Never would have guessed that!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go win something
Old 06-08-2014, 12:42 PM

Oh no it was. I've used it twice, they don't get hot, just much less effective.
Oh, that's right. My original reason for doing it was to stop the rushing water sounds, but it has another use too.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go win something
Good luck! She'll love you for it!
Old 06-08-2014, 02:55 PM

No, it was probably me.
Not you either.

I'm not offended by lively discussion, just the direct insults.

I did a search and found quite a few posts about people getting mild electric shocks (often described as a 'tingle') from their machines. That seems like a valid enough reason to add a ground.

This kind of risk could almost be eliminated by a periodic visual inspection of the wiring, but there are some wires on my machine (for the light) that can't be visually inspected without removing them from the machine.
They are routed through the casing, and there are large sections which can't be seen with the wires in situ.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:23 PM

Not you either.

I'm not offended by lively discussion, just the direct insults.
Now I'm intrigued. Didn't see anyone directly insult you, and that kind of thing's pretty rare on QB. Was it by PM?

James, your mother wears army boots! (just tryin' to be funny)
Old 06-08-2014, 04:26 PM

James, your mother wears army boots! (just tryin' to be funny)

Manicmike, careful there before hauling out the ammunition- weren't you once caught, by your daughter, wearing pyjamas and holding a Featherweight on a bathroom scale?