Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Question about a Standard Slim Rotary >

Question about a Standard Slim Rotary

Question about a Standard Slim Rotary

Old 06-04-2014, 08:09 PM

Wow! The knowledge on this board amazes me. According to what you posted Macybaby, the smooth bobbin case is the case that would have originally come with my Standard. It makes sense. It's older, I think pre 1900's. My serial is 423607. I was aware of the chain stitch attachment and plate but I'm not sure if mine was one of the earlier ones that didn't take it or not. This machine came with no attachments at all except for the standard foot. I suppose I should be thankful that it did have that.

Both the cabinet and the head itself are not in great shape. All the parts that need to move are now moving thanks to a few days of liberal SMO love. I have absolutely no decals left at all. The bed of the machine is really rough in quite a few spots. I think it's ok though. It's not the most beautiful machine in the world but I still love it because it has a history. I look forward to teaching my kids to sew on it. If I can mount it in the cabinet without worrying that it will fall out. There are no bolts holding the top of the cabinet to the body of the cabinet. I will drag it out tomorrow and take pictures of it if anyone has any suggestions about replacement bolts.

I dont know know why it's taken so long for me to post here. I really have been obsessively reading for the last two years. I'm only up to 5 machines right now. All of them are pre 60's barring one Janome, and even that one is fairly old. I may have accidentally just bid on another machine on the goodwill site today and I just picked up a 15 clone in a cabinet yesterday. I'll be back soon to find out how to re-wire that one. I tore the insulation off the cord to the pedal when I was getting it out of my car yesterday.

So, I guess that's my introduction, and I look forward to posting more.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:11 AM

Welcome to the board.....but you know that already. Good to have you on here with us, learning and sharing. My grandchildren live in Kyle and South Austin. I was there in March to give them beginner quilting lessons. What a blast that was. I came back to TN on a cloud of happiness. They tell me they are "saving the date" for another session, and Grannie here can't wait to get back.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:30 AM

Thank you, oldtnquiltinglady! I had typed out a reply to this and I did something wrong because it didn't post. Not enough caffeine yet this morning.

Some friends recently moved to TN and they say it's beautiful there.

We are having a visit from grandma (from Fl) next week, and we can't wait! We are going to clean up and replace the cords to a Riccar 15 clone I just picked up in a cabinet for my 8 year old to use. She is really excited to use a real machine. We've been doing a lot of hand sewing and gluing thus far. She's been making little furniture sets out of felt for her littlest pet shop toys.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:16 PM

Welcome to the Board! I've been around a while, but I'm still a rank amateur! I love these old machines, but I really didn't start out to collect them. Honestly, I've not purchased any of them, but my son has! I don't have room to really "collect" machines like Macybaby has!

Jeanette
Old 05-20-2015, 02:40 PM

Hello, and Welcome to the board. I too, am a rank Amateur, but I'm on here an awful lot.