Featherweight Questions

Old 06-08-2014, 10:11 AM

Default Featherweight Questions

Howdy y'all.

I've been using my Featherweight 221 more lately. I've noticed that it starts out a bit slow, but as it warms up it starts to stitch a bit faster. Is it typical for a Featherweight to need a "warming up period", or is this indicative if some problem?

Also, this may be a silly question but, is there a way around having to use your big toe to press the little button on the foot pedal? I love every aspect of sewing with my little Featherweight EXCEPT the toe cramps! LOL! And by the way...her name is Fanny Featherweight.

Donna
Old 06-08-2014, 10:17 AM

Your belt may need tightening, and you put your foot on the foot feed and your ball of foot on the "button".
Old 06-08-2014, 02:33 PM

Of course, you could purchase the clam shell type foot pedal that works on the featherweight.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:38 PM

Yep, probably is the belt. My dealer said that foot was made that way because back in the 30's-50's the machine was designed for women who sewed in heels. I got an electronic foot pedal and love it, easier but also so much more responsive
Old 06-08-2014, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sally J View Post
I got an electronic foot pedal and love it, easier but also so much more responsive
Sally J, tell me about the electronic foot pedal.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:28 AM

If I am not mistaken, I think I read somewhere that you turn the pedal so your heel is what is controlling the button. the ball of your foot is what is resting on the pedal and you press the button with your heel. I have sewed using that method and I find it easier.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak View Post
Howdy y'all.

I've been using my Featherweight 221 more lately. I've noticed that it starts out a bit slow, but as it warms up it starts to stitch a bit faster. Is it typical for a Featherweight to need a "warming up period", or is this indicative if some problem?

Also, this may be a silly question but, is there a way around having to use your big toe to press the little button on the foot pedal? I love every aspect of sewing with my little Featherweight EXCEPT the toe cramps! LOL! And by the way...her name is Fanny Featherweight.

Donna
Donna,

I'd check the belt to make sure it neither too tight nor too loose, then I'd think about how long it's been since the motor was greased.

As for the foot controller button I use the outside of my right foot on the button. Neither my wife nor myself likes them one bit. But they work and we have a bunch of machines with that type so we live with them.

Joe
Old 06-09-2014, 09:50 AM

The machine I grew up using had that style controller mounted inside the cabinet and the knee bar pressed on that button. Did not even know it could be a foot control. 😉
Old 06-09-2014, 01:12 PM

I just saw a cool adapter on ebay for a Featherweight. Check this one out-it's called a Singer featherweight foot pedal adapter to use with the original foot. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-Feath...item51bea0014d There are multiple types of foot pedals designed to use with the Featherweight available through ebay as well. Most are in the same price range as this adapter: $35-$45.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:28 PM
ro
Banned

thank you kykaren. thats really neat. i like the extension table for the fw.