Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is JUST a hobby >

This is JUST a hobby

This is JUST a hobby

Old 06-09-2014, 05:40 AM

My DH wanted a bunch of curtains made this weekend but I was busy, so he decided to do it himself rather than wait. (Just putting hems on 4 sides of fabric we'd already cut down, so pretty easy, but he'd never sewn before in his life.) I helped get him and the machine all set up, offered some tips and pointers, walked him through a test run on a scrap (pinning, pressing, sewing), and then turned him loose and mostly just left him to do his thing! I only had to offer a little help here and there; he did 99% of the work. He only had to rip out one seam, and only about 5-6 inches of it! Success! I can guarantee you those curtains have better seams than the first curtains I ever made!

It made me think of this thread though...now I can tell people I don't even do household type sewing for my own spouse, I'm definitely not doing it for them! LOL

He did a great job, too. Too bad he didn't enjoy it, I am positive he'd make a great quilter! Very careful and detail-oriented. He's very proud of his new curtains, and I'm very proud of him.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
Over the years I've had family members and friends tell me I should "sell all the different things I make". They mean well but I am not interested in selling. I am a giver and/or I keep what I make! I make quilts, or knit or do counted cross stitch things just to name a few for my own enjoyment. I would not enjoy making something for hire. It's just not me.
I know what you mean when people say "oh, you could really sell those!" I used to try to explain why I don't, but I finally realized it's more of a "how are you?" kind of comment - one they really don't care about. So now I just say "Yes, I suppose I could" and leave it at that!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:34 AM

Say a price they will say no!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:52 AM

Here is my story: I quilt as a hobby. My son's friend wanted me to his a California king size quilt for him. He picked the pattern and he "OKed" the fabric. Of course, I bought quilting store fabric because he was paying me to make this quilt. I make sure I did a good job and had it quilted. Never got a dime and not even a "thank you" card or phone call. NEVER again will I make a quilt for pay.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

I run into this all the time. People who do not quilt, have no idea of the amount of time and labor goes into making a quilt, it's not just the cost of the fabric. I have made quilts for family and special friends, but if others ask, I give them a realistic figure of what a quilt would cost and they usually change their mind.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:20 AM

I kinda like mending things. I only do it for family because of the price. I charge hugs and kisses.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:31 AM

I can relate to all the comments about making quilts for others. When I retired almost 4 years ago, it only took 3 days and I started getting calls that went like this - "now that you are retired and have nothing to do, would you like to volunteer to do this, this and that". I said I needed to catch my breath first and then I would decide what I want to do and when. After working with the public for 30+ years, I did not want to get right back out there. I lived by a strict schedule of work hours and did not want to be doing for others all the time. Mind you - I volunteered plenty when I was working full time so now I think it is "my time". I know that sounds selfish but I want to be available for watching Grandkids in a pinch when something comes up. I do that just enough to enjoy it - my kids know I did not retire to take up mothering their children. Enough said - quilting is my hobby - I do it for family and "special" friends and totally love it. Don't be afraid to say no - retirement is first of all "your time".
Old 06-09-2014, 09:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bevsie View Post
I've told a few that my Babylocks are for quilting, they don't mend! And they went, oh, ok. (Duh)
Bev
That's stinkin' ****awesome*** . LOL!
Old 06-09-2014, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
I Don't be afraid to say no - retirement is first of all "your time".
Those of us who are retired worked hard for "your time." I enjoy my non-commitment time and have no trouble saying no to all kinds of requests for my time. I'll donate anything but time. Ha, Ha. It takes time to make a quilt, toy, pot holders, whatever, for raffles, bazars and such. It's just that I get to choose how to donate and commit to a project. Now I "hobby" commit, and even then choose judiciously. Heck, I don't even repair or alter my own clothes, I send them to a friend who has a business doing that kind of thing. Forget home decor--boring. Made curtains once years ago and that was the end of that little exercise. DH just got a long arm and already has requests for quilting, he doesn't even know all the ins and outs of using it yet. We say no to all "please make me a---" The expense excuse usually works, and if it doesn't : "its just a hobby, not a business, we're retired for Pete's sake, and too busy to take on extra projects" also works in saying NO.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

I replied earlier and I USE my advice to say I have so many projects i couldn't possibly add another.
Having said that, I want to share what my gmother told me once:
Saying no becomes a whole lot easier when you realize that your closer to the exit door
than you are from the entrance!
(aka, don't give away your time...it's too valuable and you can't get it back. )