Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is JUST a hobby >

This is JUST a hobby

This is JUST a hobby

Old 06-10-2014, 03:52 AM

When you are tempted, think of the alternative - if you accept a consignment, it's not a hobby anymore - it's a job, and pretty much takes the fun out of your "hobby".

That overrides the guilt feeling, doesn't it?
Old 06-10-2014, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

Start caring about yourself and say no!

Originally Posted by misschris View Post
I wonder if there is an invisible sign on my roof that says I'm in the sewing business. I've sewn for years and I have had people calling me and out of no where asking me to mend, create, and even alter prom and bridal. I have done some for special people but have ceased to do that except for family. Two years ago when I retired I started quilting. I love my new hobby and the creativity it affords me. Now I am getting calls to make quilts. REALLY? I have to tell people NO...you can't afford me. Quilting takes time and how can you even begin to calculate? I make quilts for my grandchildren and people I love because I want to. I struggle with the "no" word because I care. I just can't get myself into that scene again. I need to learn to say NO and not feel guilty.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:57 AM

You're heading for this thread is all you need to say to those wanting you to make them something!

This is just a hobby!

But...if they persist toss out $2,000 estimate with a 18 month production time!

Nan - Indiana
Old 06-10-2014, 04:29 AM

I tell them no becaues I worked for over 50 yrs, now it is time for me to play. LOL
Old 06-10-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by nabobw View Post
You are right when you say they can not afford you. People think you can make them a quilt for what one at a discount store would cost. pennies
I couldn't agree more. Because you want to.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:42 AM

I do not feel guilty at all about saying NO ! When I was learning to quilt and had just made my first quilt at the local quilt store, a dear friend asked me to make her one too for $25.00 ! After that, I had no trouble saying no.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:03 AM

Yes to say no is not bad. People who sew don"t realize what goes into any type of sewing. My husband used to tell people that I would do things for them, until I put my foot down. I agree that doing it for family and those you love is great. You should make the choice.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:14 AM

A friend found out that I own a serger and she wanted me to do a rolled edge hem on 100 table cloths in a week for our church hall. I said sorry I can't do it in that time frame.
Sharon
Old 06-10-2014, 06:18 AM

I have several high end machines, including a 10 needle embroidery machine. I purchased it because I wanted it, not to go into business. As soon as people (family mostly)found out I had it they started asking about embroidered jackets and hats and such with names and designs that show off THEIR hobby. I tell them I am not in business, nor do I want to be. They ask why I got it? Reason? Because I WANTED ONE. I always get the "but the extra money will help pay off your machine". Sorry sweetie, they all were paid for when they left the store. "Well, we ARE family, so you are still going to do them, right?" Uh, no.
When I was designing and making wedding gowns, I was expected to make prom dresses, do alterations on dresses they bought for weddings, even got volunteered to do a wedding for "a poor distraught bride who is going through a rough time" for little or no compensation!
My machine, my time, my decision...period.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I learned to say no a long time ago. Because I don't want to, that's why.
A girl after my own heart.