Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Layout Hint >

Layout Hint

Layout Hint

Old 06-09-2014, 05:07 AM

I have devious cats that like to destroy things, so I take pictures before I leave the room lol.

He's lucky he's cute haha
Old 06-10-2014, 04:10 AM

I label the rows but once did a scrap quilt that turned out completely backwards...still don't know how that happened but it was just as pretty backwards and no one knows but ME!
Old 06-10-2014, 04:17 AM

I also label each block by row and column after I have them laid out the way I want. If you are like me and not a pinner, remember to put the label on each block in the same corner (i.e. top left corner). I use that as a guide so I know which raw edge is going to be sewn to the last block. It is very easy to turn the block when you put it on your sewing machine (esp. the first 2 blocks of each row) & sew the wrong side.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:21 AM

I sometimes take a photo of a grouping of fabric before I get it, so I can see how it all works together - sort like the looking through the 'door peephole' trick.
Also take a picture of your parking space at the airport so you remember where you parked the car! What did we do before digital photos?

Last edited by quiltmom04; 06-10-2014 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by grammy17 View Post
This may have been said thousands of times before. I didn't see it if it did.

I have my design all perfect on my design wall. Then take things down to sew or iron or square up or whatever. When I get back I CANNOT get it back the way it is supposed to be!

Maybe I'm the only one but I doubt that.

Today! I took a picture of the final layout. Then uploaded in on my computer. Put the blown up picture on my computer screen. I can put everything back where it belongs!

I am so happy.

Hope this helps someone else.

Grammy 17
soon to be Grammy 19 and then maybe 21.
I don't have a design wall, so must use the floor or two large tables put together - I have used my digital camera for a long time. Strange how one can miss something by looking at it, and yet see it perfectly through a camera lens.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

Pictures save time!

I now take a picture of everything I put away for safe keeping or put in a special place to find later or where I parked the car. I take a picture of my kitchen calendar at the end of the month too. I have all our appointments and other dates to remember recorded there. It has come in handy to be able to find the exact date a few months later.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Skylark53 View Post
I have devious cats that like to destroy things, so I take pictures before I leave the room lol.

He's lucky he's cute haha
I have two black tornados. So if I want to leave my quilt laid out on the floor, I have to take a picture the night before because it sure doesn't look the same in the morning. They think I make quilts just for them.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:11 AM

I like to take a picture of my layout also, so I can see if the blocks balance with color etc. Sure helps.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
I have to take pictures or leave everything laid out on the spare bed and do everything piece at a time and even then I pin notes and numbers! I am a complete numbskull when it comes to putting things together properly.
LOL, sounds like me
Old 06-10-2014, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I have so many photos of things on my cell phone it's ridiculous. But must say it is a Godsend.
Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
I don't know what I did before I had my cell phone camera. I use it all the time.