Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Used or new? >

Used or new?

Used or new?

Old 06-04-2014, 05:18 AM

Default Used or new?

In March, I bought a Brother DreamCreator VM5100 (the one with embroidery) to replace my Janome 8900. I LOVE my machine, it's great, with just one exception - OMG is it heavy! Like, it's not moving except for service kind of heavy. I want a machine to use for travel & classes, and I'm considering a Bernina - either a 350 or a 380. I would love to have a 550QE but not willing to part with that kind of money so soon after buying the Brother.

I haven't ever used a Bernina before, so I think I probably should take some classes on it, but I have found a used 380 for sale for nearly half the price of new. I won't lie, I'm tempted, but ... I don't know if saving the money would be worth missing the classes. I've never taken a guide class on a machine before, but the bobbin mechanism on the Bernina sort of freaks me out.

What would you do - would you buy the used machine and watch YouTube videos to get a handle on it, or would you buy a new machine for the classes?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-04-2014 at 08:53 AM. Reason: pm
Old 06-04-2014, 05:39 AM

You didn't say where you were thinking of buying the Bernina from - a private user or a dealer. The new machine not only comes with guide classes, it also has a warranty. Contact your Bernina dealer and find out if they have any used machines that are under warranty. Ask them what it would cost to attend guide classes if you buy your machine privately. Once you have all that information, you can make an informed decision. Good luck. And remember, nothing sews like a Bernina! I live both of mine.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:42 AM

BUY, BUY, BUY,USED. they use with the money you save for a class or two after you have spend some time with the machine if you still feel you need it. but after you have work with the machine you will find that you done need them.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Both of my older models of Bernina aren't what I would consider light. I love them and especially when I see the resale value on eBay for what they are actual sold for. I have collected a lot of accessories over the years.

I wish you good luck with making your decision. I hope I don't have to go shopping for a new DSM.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:50 AM

I love my Brenina 380 had it for about a year and no problems. Its my home and my class machine, while its a bit hefty its not horrifying by any standards.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:49 PM

I'm going to be honest, if you are a true brother girl which from your many posts I gather you are, you probably will not really bond with a bernina, they are very very different. I sewed on the 550QE for an entire day and having spent years with every brother imaginable I just did not care for it so I would go to a dealer and try one to really make sure its what you want because they aren't cheap and you will be missing some of the features on the cheaper brothers that are not present on more expensive berninas. me personally I would look at a brother SB4138 or similar model for travel
Old 06-10-2014, 07:02 PM

My main machine is a Bernina 780 but I did purchase a 350 Special Edition for classes and travel, so I'm pretty much Bernina to the bone. I say all that to say . . .i love my Berninas and support, whole heartedly, Bernina users growing . . .but honestly, if you have a Brother with all the accessories . . .I'd look into a small Brother machine for classes.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:19 PM

I would agree about getting a small Brother for a travel machine. I am a Baby Lock fan and have a Husqvarna for a travel machine. The machine is fine but it takes special feet just for the brand and things are different from the Baby Lock. I believe Bernina is a bit the same way in feet won't interchange with other brands, etc.

I should add I only paid $20 for the Husqvarna and that is why I bought it.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:54 AM

I've borrowed a Viking #1 from my mom - not exactly light, but it's free to me and it has the most important foot, a 1/4" seam foot. LOL

Thanks to everyone for the responses.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:03 AM

Have you checked out the smaller Brother/Babylock machines? I know they make smaller portable "class" machines.