Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
the back side of the quilt - how to make it behave >

the back side of the quilt - how to make it behave

the back side of the quilt - how to make it behave

Old 04-30-2014, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont View Post
I heartily agree! Over 30+ years of quilting, I've tried them all. Sharon Schamber's method is not only kind to my back, I have never ever experienced a tuck. Other advantages is that there is no residue that needs washing after the quilt is completed (I do my washing before making the first cut); washing afterwards is only as needed if it's been sitting around or has become soiled in the quilting process (except baby quilts which are always given a final, fragrance-free, hypoallergenic wash).

ONE THING THAT HASN'T BEEN MENTIONED: (Often we overlook the obvious) You are working from the center out, aren't you? There is no getting around that and it automatically accommodates the miniscule adjustments that might be needed.

Hope this helps.
If you use Elmer's School Glue, there is no need to work from the center out. In fact, the first thing I do is sew around the entire perimeter of the quilt to take the pressure off the glued layers as I work with the whole thing.
And the school glue is never gummy. It is a starch and is never sticky when dry.
I thin the glue 1 to 1 with water, and spread by holding the bottle a few inches above the quilt, moving very quickly so that only a very thin line is laying on the quilt. (I've put the glue on the batt and I've put the glue on the fabric. Both work.) After a section has glue on it, I use a few fingers to flatten out the glue beads. Then smooth the fabric down onto the batt.
I love it that there are no pins to remove when I do the quilting. I can just buzz right along.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:58 AM

Has anyone hand quilted a school glue basted quilt ? I am concerned that the glue will make the needle harder to push through.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
I hand baste using Sharon Schamber's method. Check out on youtube. I do it on a table with pads. At first I rolled it on boards, now I just use 2 heavy boards to hold the non basting area down. I believe the herringbone stitch does the job. Neat back.
Ditto, Ditto, Ditto!
Old 06-13-2014, 09:11 AM

Another vote here for the Sharon Schambers hand basting method. Not only do you get a smooth back, the process is actually enjoyable and non-stressful. No bending, no knees, no reaching, no spoons! I now baste before bed, because it is so relaxing and makes me drowsy.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:16 AM

I have hand quilted a large quilt that was basted with Elmer's School Glue. No problem at all. I did smooth out any globs of glue before basting. I think that hand quilting would be a problem if you put on too much glue and did not smooth it on the batting.