Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding quilts - uuggghhh! >

binding quilts - uuggghhh!

binding quilts - uuggghhh!

Old 06-15-2014, 08:16 PM

wildyard, you lost me
Old 06-15-2014, 08:17 PM

maviskw, Yep they are the ones that have mastered this computer stuff, let me know when they figure it out for you please
Old 06-16-2014, 02:37 AM

Binding and the mitered corner used to be my nemesis. Finding a technique that you are comfortable with and practice is key. Re ently Patrick Lose was on Fons & Porter. He demonstrated the method that has one stopping 1/4" from the edge and then stitching to the corner. He cuts his binding strips to 2 1/4" . I am sure you can find some You Tubes on the method. My bindings have imroved since I adopted this method. Practice.

I don't get the Elmore's Glue use. Sorry. I can't imagine using it myself.

sandy
Old 06-16-2014, 03:40 AM

I went to a class on binding at Paducah last year. One of the hints was to keep a round toothpick handy. Once you have sewn the miter, use the toothpick to push the extra fabric into place. It keeps the miter crisp and clean
Old 06-16-2014, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Arleners View Post
I went to a class on binding at Paducah last year. One of the hints was to keep a round toothpick handy. Once you have sewn the miter, use the toothpick to push the extra fabric into place. It keeps the miter crisp and clean
This is an excellent idea. Sometimes I use a large tapestry needle, but a wooden toothpick is probably better. Less chance of your needle hitting something hard. You need to push the binding fabric over the raw edge of quilt and hold it there while you also fold the other side over that and sew it down. Sounds like we need about three or four hands.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:28 AM

I agree with the Sharon Schamber glue video. It changed my whole attitude and results. Elmer's glue is the method for me. I sew the binding to the front, glue to the back, and machine stitch in the ditch from the front with invisible thread. Wow, what a difference it makes.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:45 AM

I love it too....I attatch it by machine then hand sew to back, and love seeing the finished project emerge. I have gotten pretty giod at it with practice, practice.......too bad it's not a marketable skill!
Old 06-16-2014, 05:31 AM

I must be the only one that trims the corner. I sew the binding on then I go and trim each corner just the quilt not the binding. I've washed my quilts tons never had an issue. Makes for perfect corners
Old 06-16-2014, 07:45 AM

practice practice practice... I recently made a bunch of pot holders and wow now I can do the binding much better for my quilts
Old 06-16-2014, 08:44 AM

I have been quilting it seems forever, but until three years ago, I have not been able to miter a corner. At my guild meeting they had a mini class and the member showed how she does her corners, will, it worked. I have conquered miter corners. Yea. Just keep practicing. It will work.