Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you made a notebook of all the quilts you've made? >

Have you made a notebook of all the quilts you've made?

Have you made a notebook of all the quilts you've made?

Old 06-17-2014, 04:33 AM

I just take a picture of the quilt and the label and put it in a photo album
Old 06-17-2014, 05:17 AM

I try to take photos of each quilt with pics of the backing too if I've done something special on it. Plus I like to have a pic of the label which will help me remember who I gave the quilt to. I also try to include photos of the quilting in case I want to use the same pattern on something else. I keep my photos on my PC on an external HD in case the PC goes belly up.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:46 AM

I take pictures of my quilts and quilted projects and put them in a scrapbook album. I started writing a label, then printed one out and now before I print my label on the treated fabric, I print one on paper to check size and spelling, so I usually put that on the page with the picture(s). I'm behind of course, but other people like to look at what I've done and it helps me to remember what I've completed. I've even used my album to find out how old a child is now by looking at the dates of the baby quilt I made them.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:05 AM

I take digital pictures of everything I make with fabric, and a picture of the label if it has one. They are printed and placed in a photo album. The digital pictures are stored in files on the computer by date completed. I do not save fabric swatches, but do save the patterns I drafted in case I ever have the need to make them again. The kids wouldn't care about the patterns and if they were found together they probably wouldn't notice the pictures and the whole thing would get tossed. I figure the photo album is like a diary of my life. : )
Old 06-17-2014, 07:25 AM

No I haven't but I have 3 photo albums with all the quilts I made, including charity quilts, pillowcases etc. I also have a box full of thank you cards and letters from the recipients of all the quilts I have made for others (including the pics of the babies I made quilts for.)
Old 06-17-2014, 09:19 AM

I've kept a "project" album over the years as I've flitted from one addiction to another. It holds pictures of candlewicking, counted cross stitch, needlepoint, chicken scratch, plastic canvas projects, etc., etc......the most, by far, are pictures of my quilts and baskets that I've made but I have to confess, lately, it seems easier to just post them on a board on Pinterest. I haven't updated it in over a year.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:07 AM

Mine is digital but I intend to convert mine to paper. My grandmothers were both quilters, one kept notes and the other did not.

The one that kept notes had two binders - one was a photo album, and the other was all her graph paper patterns, sketches, notes, even some flyers from her Guild. I didn't know these existed until about a year ago when my aunt brought them out to show me.

It was very moving to read through it because she had left personal notes in there too; including a couple of paragraphs about the last quilt she made and how she felt giving up quilting due to her failing health. She passed away about a year after that was written and that was indeed her last quilt. It was so hard to read but so moving...I'm glad she took the time to write it all down.

My aunt has indicated that I will inherit those two binders some day, since I'm the only quilter in the family (so far). I would love to have my own binder or two to add to it, to pass down to someone else when it's my turn to shuffle off this mortal coil - I don't have children of my own but both my niece and my nephew have shown a lot of interest in sewing so I am hopeful one or both of them will take up quilting some day, or at least have a strong enough interest that they would cherish these things.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:30 AM

I've started one but I'm not great at keeping it up. I do have an electronic record through my blog.

Cheers, K
Old 06-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

I started a photo album of ones I have done recently. I have had some luck getting pics of others that have been gifted
Old 06-17-2014, 12:43 PM

I haven't but should have. I see a quilt at someone's house and compliment it and the owner says, "You made it." Sure enough, my handwritten label is on it, so it must be true. But I should have kept a record so when I'm feeling as though I have not accomplished much, I could look at my quilt book. froggyintexas