Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New fabric line is 16.50 a yard. >

New fabric line is 16.50 a yard.

New fabric line is 16.50 a yard.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:39 PM

According to their website, it's both grown and processed organically. That would certainly increase the production cost. It would also reduce the chemical exposure of workers at all points in the process.

http://www.birchfabrics.com/help_answer.asp?ID=20#250

If I was making a gift for my sister, who is very socially and environmentally conscious, I would certainly consider buying this fabric. It's expensive, but it would show that I respect her beliefs. It's not for everyone, but it's nice to have the option available. Thanks for bringing this manufacturer to my attention!
Old 06-19-2014, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

I pre wash the dickens out of my fabric. So much for organic. Not about to pay that much for fabric. I made curtains and didn't pay that for 2 windows. Light summer curtains but still. I do a lot of "Green" because I don't have much green. I try to make due with what I've got.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

Where I live cotton fields are all around. The few farmers that do grow a field of organic cotton say the chemicals allowed for organic are much worse then the regular ones for the soil. I think the manufacturers and the government and the growers should at least be on the same page about just what organic really is. The cotton is grown organic with the chemicals that are labeled for organic growing so the manufacturers can truthfully say the cotton is grown organic. Chemicals aren't organic. So many jump on the bandwagon not knowing where it's been.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

shop around (the fabshophop is a great place to find over 100 shops across the U.S.) different shops have very different prices- and carry lots of different lines. you can find that line for much less- quite a few shops are starting to carry more Organic Cottons and it is possible to find them for less than $10 a yard. you just have to do some searching- (and sometimes you get really lucky and find a coupon or sale going on too)
Old 06-19-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Some quilters are puzzling. Buy organic cotton fabric and then use regular cotton thread and wash it in non organic detergent. LOL. I'm not that green, I'll save my green in the bank.

It's not only quilters!
Old 06-19-2014, 02:38 PM

My goodness you ladies are very lucky to get your fabric this cheap. I suspect many apopoleptic fits if you were faced with UK prices. Some fabrics here can be as much as around $28 per yd/metre while I've had to pay over $39 for extra wide backing fabrics.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:54 PM

We are lucky. Someone above was saying fat quarters sell for $6.50 in Canada! I could only do half as much quilting at that price.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:04 PM

Wow - that is a lot! I wouldn't pay that either.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Skratchie View Post
It's organic. Most organic cottons are much more expensive than "regular" cotton. My personal opinion is that organic cotton is a gimmick. I wouldn't pay for it myself.
I'm with you Skratchie. You would think organic would be cheaper, save on chemicals. lol Still like Marshall's best.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:18 PM

I looked at the fabrics in the link. I'm not impressed. So, I won't be spending my hard-earned $$ buying those fabrics.
And as others have said, "organic" is a term that can be completely abused and misused and misinterpreted in so many ways. Considering that 90+% of any fabric greige goods start off in China, I think we all have to take any claims of "organic" with a grain of salt. We all know that China is one of the worst places in the world for using toxic chemicals to produce everything - they don't care about their people, nor the consumers.
Just my opinion...