Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
opinions! baby lock vs janome! help! >

opinions! baby lock vs janome! help!

opinions! baby lock vs janome! help!

Old 06-19-2014, 06:14 AM

I am the proud owner of two Baby Locks. I have sewn on other machines, including the Janome, and I don't like any of them compared to mine. It is just a work horse. I have had very few problems with it. I like the features on the BL at lot more. Mine tells me when I am about to run out of bobbin thread, cuts automatically, is so easy to thread. I have had my big one for 6 years now and have never had a problem with it. I also love the embroidery unit that comes with it. Very easy to use.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:55 AM

I have a Baby Lock Jane on my frame and do not like it at all. It is primitive with a complicated threading and an under the machine bobbin.
Brother makes good machines at reasonable prices. I have several even a cheap embroidery machine. My first one was $129 and it is still a good machine. They all have drop in bobbins.
Also have a Viking Shaphire that I love (cant spell). It was $1100. Also drop in bobbin.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:18 AM

First: Get your current machine serviced. I have 4 "old" machines and wouldn't dream of replacing any of them. I do get them serviced regularly as I put a LOT of sewing hours on each machine and the professional service keeps them ticking!! I have a Baby Lock and it is the least favorite of my machines. The other 3 are Bernina (the oldest is 40 + years old and is my favorite) You might want to consider purchasing a used machine that was top of the line "in its day" - get that serviced and you'll have a great machine.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by terri bb View Post
hi! my little janome is really starting to sound like a thrashing machine! i just don't have the money or the credit to get what i really WANT ( sound familiar? hehe) so i have to think of options that will help me endeavor what i want to pursue. i am thinking of getting a janome 1600P with a gracie frame for learning how to quilt on. however, i need a piecing machine. i am researching baby lock, like the grace or audrey, and also the janome like the dc2014 or 3160qdc, and i need opinions. since this reaches such a wide variety of audiences and i will get a more honest opinion from you rather than a dealer any comments you can give me would be SO much appreciated! thank you much!

Why don't you get the Brother 1500. It's the same machine (I believe that the Janome 1600 is actually made by Brother but I'm not 100% sure of that) but less expensive. I use mine without a frame and it quilts beautifully. I also use it for piecing. I also have a Viking 870Q that I originally got for machine quilting but now I only use it if I need to use a zig zag or buttonhole stitch. I never was happy with it for quilting.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:34 AM

I had been using a 1968 White that belonged to my mother. Last year I decided I need something that would do more. I purchased a Janome 7700 and I have never looked back. It does everything I ask it to do and more. Guess you can tell what I would recommend.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by terri bb View Post
hi! my little janome is really starting to sound like a thrashing machine! i just don't have the money or the credit to get what i really WANT ( sound familiar? hehe) so i have to think of options that will help me endeavor what i want to pursue. i am thinking of getting a janome 1600P with a gracie frame for learning how to quilt on. however, i need a piecing machine. i am researching baby lock, like the grace or audrey, and also the janome like the dc2014 or 3160qdc, and i need opinions. since this reaches such a wide variety of audiences and i will get a more honest opinion from you rather than a dealer any comments you can give me would be SO much appreciated! thank you much!
My friend has the DC1050 and after purchasing it is disappointed because it has so much plastic on it, even her free motion for attachment was plastic and broke after sewing one quilt. She did purchase a new foot that is metal.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:02 AM

Try giving your machine some oil - that should clear up the noise!
Old 06-20-2014, 05:42 AM

I have a older Janome that I bought at Sears years ago....it's called Harmony 8080. It's never given me an ounce of trouble that wasn't "operator error". If the time comes for a new machine I'll purchase another Janome.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:59 AM

This is probably out of your budget...but I have the new BL Crescendo...and LOVE IT! Easy to use, quiet, and sews so much better than the Janome 7700 that I got to bring home and test drive for a weekend.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sally J View Post
I used a 3160 Janome that provided for a class. Loved the machine!! It certainly is just a piecing machine because it has a small throat. This machine just purred and has a small table that is included. It's also very light 14 lbs so it's great for classes. I have a lightweight Brother for classes now, but next year I'm taking a cruise and I can buy the 3160 machine after at a discount because it is the machine that is used as a loner for the cruise. My little Brother is great but I"m sure it will be worn out by next year as it was only a $200 machine. I don't think you will be disappointed in the 3160.
ditto to the 3160 - has all the bells and whistles for a nice quilting machine. Portable for travel, built in scissors to cut thread and bobbin is a dream! Ieven love the needle threader. You canset the stitch length for piecing, has a 1/4 inch foot that is accurate and makes pretty stitches. It doesn't pull the fabric to the side so seams are nicely straight.