Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rules for Quilt Shows >

Rules for Quilt Shows

Rules for Quilt Shows

Old 06-21-2014, 09:54 AM

Default Rules for Quilt Shows

My friend just finished a very nice baby quilt. She does a great job piecing her quilts but has them quilted by a person with a long arm quilting machine. This person suggested my friend have the quilt entered in a local quilt show.

If you enter a quilt in a show shouldn't it be completely done by the one entering it or is it okay to have it quilted by someone else? I don't remember this being mentioned before here on the quilting board.

Are there rules for this?
Old 06-21-2014, 09:59 AM

Each show has their own specific rules. I think generally in most shows it's okay to have more than one person credited on the quilt - for instance, pieced by Dolly Parton, quilted by Kenny Rogers. I've seen quilts with an entire group of people given credit. However, read the rules VERY CAREFULLY because there are a few shows that require the quilt to be made entirely by one person.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:01 AM

Does a quilt show quilt have to be an original design?
Old 06-21-2014, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Does a quilt show quilt have to be an original design?
Absolutely not. But to win a top prize in a top show, it probably will be.

And remember, there are all kinds of quilt shows, and they have different rules for everything. And in many shows the quilts are not judged, only admired.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

Often there are a number of categories in a quilt show including one for pieced by one person and quilted by another... Lots of entries are done by more than one person- you have to put each persons name on the entry/info sheet-give credit where due/and enter it info the correct category.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:50 PM

I know our local county fair has separate classes for quilts that were machine quilted ( by the one that pieced it) vs professionally quilted ( someone was paid to quilt it )
Old 06-21-2014, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

at our guild this morning, we were notified that if someone else quilts your quilt for you, it is not eligible for the awards... seems strange to me.... but i'm new there so not questioning it
Old 06-21-2014, 03:10 PM

It depends on the show's submission guidelines. I would think if your entry was quilted by a third party, you would have to give credit for it.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Each show has their own specific rules. I think generally in most shows it's okay to have more than one person credited on the quilt - for instance, pieced by Dolly Parton, quilted by Kenny Rogers. I've seen quilts with an entire group of people given credit. However, read the rules VERY CAREFULLY because there are a few shows that require the quilt to be made entirely by one person.
Every show has different rules so one must read the fine print carefully. Yes, I never heard of anything that disqualifies if someone else quilts it. I won best of show in a country fair in CA and the design was in a published quilt pattern called Colorsplash.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:31 PM

Our Guild show has categories for two person quilts (e.g. pieced by A and quilted by B). Like others say, read the rules closely.

Cheers, K