Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New fabric line is 16.50 a yard. >

New fabric line is 16.50 a yard.

New fabric line is 16.50 a yard.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:53 PM

I go along with patchy-at -best our quilting fabric is up to $30 in some shops now and a FQ is $7.50
I do buy a lot of my fabric from USA via the internet, sorry local shops but charity starts at home, that makes me sound mean but all the quilts I make a given to charity, I have run out of family to make quilts for
Old 06-21-2014, 05:58 PM

No, I am not into this expensive stash.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:39 PM

At a quilt show I just attended most of the fabric was 9.99 to 10.99 a yard. Of course there was more expensive fabric but not in my budget.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Banned

Yikes!!!! I think 12/yard is a lot !!
Old 06-22-2014, 03:46 AM

$16.50yd would be CHEAP in Australia. You guys really don't appreciate how good you've got it. Seriously, stop complaining.

I believe that I have heard that the minimum wage in Australia is about double what it is here in America. Hard to compare with such a significant difference in wages.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:06 AM

Sue, I don't think that's correct, not double anyway. Our cost of living is so high it well and truly negates the difference in wages. Average house prices in Australia are at 1/2 million, fuel (gas) is $1.79 a litre and a loaf of bread is around $4.00.
Add to that so much available here from the US is heaped with profit for importers. Eg. Recently I wanted to buy a particular quilting ruler. Only one shop in the whole country sells them, I paid $119 for it. You guys can buy the same ruler in Walmart for $13. Even the manufacturer wouldn't send it to me, too much trouble to package it. When new fabric lines come out, we either have to buy from the States and pay a bomb in postage, or HOPE that we'll eventually get it here....at $28m.
Friends recently went to the States on a quilty buying frenzy. We did the sums when they got back to see what it would've cost here, and the shocking truth was they saved on average 70% on Aussie prices. Pretty steep!!!!
Old 06-22-2014, 04:30 AM

You will not be seeing me pay that price for a yard of fabric... ! That is just in sane.. !
Old 06-22-2014, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by patchy-at-best View Post
$16.50yd would be CHEAP in Australia. You guys really don't appreciate how good you've got it. Seriously, stop complaining.
Originally Posted by patchy-at-best View Post
Sue, I don't think that's correct, not double anyway. Our cost of living is so high it well and truly negates the difference in wages. Average house prices in Australia are at 1/2 million, fuel (gas) is $1.79 a litre and a loaf of bread is around $4.00.
Add to that so much available here from the US is heaped with profit for importers. Eg. Recently I wanted to buy a particular quilting ruler. Only one shop in the whole country sells them, I paid $119 for it. You guys can buy the same ruler in Walmart for $13. Even the manufacturer wouldn't send it to me, too much trouble to package it. When new fabric lines come out, we either have to buy from the States and pay a bomb in postage, or HOPE that we'll eventually get it here....at $28m.
Friends recently went to the States on a quilty buying frenzy. We did the sums when they got back to see what it would've cost here, and the shocking truth was they saved on average 70% on Aussie prices. Pretty steep!!!!

I'm sorry you feel we Americans complain too much but we were given that right in our Constitution. It's called Freedom of Speech. I didn't find this post to complaining but rather informing. We can't express our frustration about the price of fabric to our family and friends who don't sew because they would not truly understand as would other quilters. The cost of Fabric is not the only frustration we have but this is a quilting board. The high cost of food, fuel and other living costs are reported on the news daily. I don't know of any news network reporting the rising cost of fabric. So thank you QuiltingBoard members for keeping me informed.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:38 AM

Gee Ann, I'm pretty sure they're discussing the unusually high price of one line of fabric. I'm giving you an example of how we pay triple your USUAL price, yet you don't see where I'm coming from? I'm not asking for sympathy, its just sometimes nice to understand the relative comparisons globally. I feel sorry for friends in Europe who pay even more than us AND have even less access to great stuff. No matter what I pay, I'm lucky to have 6 fabric stores close by even if I can't access all the stuff you guys can.
I'll give you another example of our kooky world. A quilty friend in Germany wanted to buy a well known, big brand German made product. She couldn't find it anywhere so she emailed the company. Nope, made in Germany but shipped to the US, she'd have to buy it online from the US. How dumb is that? The internets opened up the world to us, but only 'sort of' lol.
I meant no offence by saying stop complaining. I meant we should sometimes find the bright side to chuckle about. Now I'm interested to know what WE'D pay here for the fabric in question, probably $40m....ugh!!! (Is it even pretty??)

On a side note, you may be interested to know we pay about the same as you guys for precuts. Shopping on the net I can buy jelly rolls here for $35 - $38. Begs the question 'why'??? Thoughts?
Old 06-22-2014, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ann63 View Post
I'm sorry you feel we Americans complain too much but we were given that right in our Constitution. It's called Freedom of Speech. I didn't find this post to complaining but rather informing. We can't express our frustration about the price of fabric to our family and friends who don't sew because they would not truly understand as would other quilters. The cost of Fabric is not the only frustration we have but this is a quilting board. The high cost of food, fuel and other living costs are reported on the news daily. I don't know of any news network reporting the rising cost of fabric. So thank you QuiltingBoard members for keeping me informed.
Yak, yak, yak. When did the discussion about the $ of organic cotton become a freedom of speech argument. Only in the good old usa.

I have to side with all the people around the world about whinny americans.

If you don't like it. don't buy it.
peace