Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
used machines, seller says "bought and never used it"???? >

used machines, seller says "bought and never used it"????

used machines, seller says "bought and never used it"????

Old 06-22-2014, 02:51 PM

Question used machines, seller says "bought and never used it"????

Looking at craigslist at used machines. Often see where "Mom passed," or "I'm upgrading to another machine." But….what do YOU make of the ads like this:
New Bernina 450 sewing machine.The machine has never been used so there are Zero sewing hours on it. I purchased it 5 months ago with the idea of starting my own sewing business which has been put on hold for now so I have decided to sell my extra machine.
Do people really buy machines that they wish to sell for $1500 (I have NO idea of the original price?????) and then not use them???
This is just one of many. I just don't get it. Please fill me in!?!?!
Old 06-22-2014, 03:02 PM

I have a friend that did this twice. I finally talked her into opening the box and trying out one of the machines. I even had her bring it to my house because I had the same machine. She used it twice and then upgraded to the newer model. I couldn't believe that she did that but she did. She has used the new machine though. She then went and bought the same machine with different name (I will let you figure out what company) because they were offering a free laptop and small sewing machine with the purchase.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:20 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I think some people have more money than sense.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:36 PM

After my mother gave me her cabinet machine (Singer 15-91) she decided she needed a machine that could at least mend something. She never got it out of the box to see if it worked - I did after she passed away and my niece didn't know how to use it. So people do buy things, decide they don't need it and get rid of it. With CraigsList it is easier to sell them now.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:43 PM

People do this all the time, their loss is others gain.

Totally agree with Jan!
Old 06-22-2014, 04:40 PM

There might be people out there that buy machines and then do not use them. However, there are a lot more people out there that are looking to scam people. Unfortunately. If the price is too good to be true, it probably is a SCAM! Never take a money order if you are selling something, and make sure you see the product in person before you give any money. Sorry to put a negative spin on an interesting subject, but I had a family member scammed, and have avoided a few potential ones, Its a shame they pray on trusting, good-hearted people.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

I bought my Bernina sight unseen online. It was listed on a small quilt shop website as a customer wanted to sell it. Pictures were included. I called the guild in the town where the shop was and was told by the President of the guild the shop had been in business for almost 20 years and had excellent customer service. I bought the machine and it arrived on time. I've been very happy with it. I would never buy anything on Craig's List unless I could see it first and make the transaction in person.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-22-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:17 PM

not sure why it's so hard to believe! people have money to buy it & they do! i'm amazed at all the fabric people buy with good intentions and NEVER USE that either! ?
Old 06-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

​I love my Bernina 440 and it was about $3000 3 yrs ago?
Old 06-22-2014, 05:26 PM

Guilty as charged!