Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serger Recommendations >

Serger Recommendations

Serger Recommendations

Old 06-23-2014, 11:00 PM

A second vote for the Brother 1034d. It's a great starter machine at a reasonable price. You can check it out here:

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-...nofuzzy=0&pn=1

and also here :

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-1034D-...=Brother+1034d

hope this helps
Old 06-24-2014, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
When I service sergers, I know I can always get a quality stitch from a Bernina. But, that's not what everyone wants. Some don't want to learn how to thread their serger. If you thread your serger about 5 times in a row, you should have it, and it's not that big of a deal. I own a Bernina 800 DL, and have never had any problems with it. I run a business from home, sewing 4 layers of Jersey knit, which my old White couldn't do. Then I switch from Jersey knit to fleece, to French terry, to regular cottons, without effort. I occasionally tweak the tensions a bit, or adjust the cutter width. It has a beautiful built-in rolled hem, and differential feed. If you want a workhorse machine, a Bernina is a great way to go.

If you can afford the $3000+ price of the Babylock with air threader, you'd better have a Babylock dealer nearby, because when the air threader goes out, you can't thread it by hand. You'll have to take it to the dealer to have it fixed. We won't touch the threader at the repair shop where I work, because we're not trained on them.
Actually a Babylock can be threaded by hand.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:58 AM

I don't get the difficulty with threading a serger. My old Huskylock was easy to thread, but sadly it died last year. I was coveting a Babylock but was not prepared to put out so much money just then, so I looked for something affordable intending to upgrade to the Babylock down the line. I had decided on a Brother1034(? I think)- an inexpensive machine that got good reviews. When I went to purchase it, the dealer had other machines as well- of course- and I ended up buying a Janome- still a lower end machine but well built. The dealer showed me the difference between the Brother loopers and the Janome loopers- that sealed it for me. You know- that little Janome does everything I need it to do- piping, ruffle attachment, beading. No coverlock, but I don't need it anyway. I am very happy with my purchase
Old 06-24-2014, 02:10 AM

I have 2. A Janome made Kenmore I have had for almost 10 years and a vintage Juki 3 thread. If your eyes are not what they once were you may want to drop the cash on a self threading serger, if your eyes are okay get whatever brand you love. Serger's are not that hard to thread. I think of them a sewing machines with 4 thread paths and take it one at a time. The Juki from 1981 is much easier to thread than my Kenmore from 2005. Everything is subjective. Have fun shopping. And Juki has come out with a self threading Serger you might want to look into.