Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
why does Jenny do this? >

why does Jenny do this?

why does Jenny do this?

Old 06-23-2014, 06:02 PM

I use the lines on my mat. I'm much more accurate that way than just relying on my ruler.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:40 PM

I have always used the marks on my cutting mat. I believe its a choice. it is not right or wrong to use the marks on the mat as I have done it successfully for years. To each his own
Old 06-23-2014, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
Why not use the markings on the cutting mats? Why would the markings be there if we can't use them? I've checked mine and the markings appear to be same as the ones on my ruler. I use both when cutting.
never had a problem when using my mat for measuring my quilts. I just try to stay consistent and not switch to different rulers when measuring.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:00 AM

Maybe mats have improved. I just did a search here and found a long thread full of people who say they would never use the lines on their mat to measure. One even said EVERYONE will tell you to never use the lines on your mat. I have tried it and it wasn't accurate for me, so I'll stick with my rulers. I don't even notice the lines on the mat anymore.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:31 AM

I think we need to use our resources more. I don't see an issue with using our mats for measuring, etc. I do agree to use the same rulers etc for consistent measurements throughout a project.
Sandy
Old 06-24-2014, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
An inch is an inch, no matter where it's measured. I think that the "difference" between rulers is actually due to the difference in how we are able to perceive the markings, not on whether the markings are accurate. Rulers have thickness, and the lines etched into them should be accurate on the top, or on the bottom, but not on a slant from bottom to top. (Sorry, that's hard to explain.) Many times I think it is more accurate to use the mat, whose surface is two-dimensional, rather than the rulers, which are 3-D. But it's not always as convenient to use the mat, since it doesn't have as many lines and it means moving the fabric more.
I agree with you. An inch is a inch and I think we need to use whatever works for us. Seems to me that it would depend on what we are cutting. Whenever I can, I use my slotted ruler because it doesn't slip like a regular ruler. I most always use lines on mat to make sure material is straight.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Auntie V View Post
Try cutting with your cutter in your Left Hand and see what is easier for you to use. I am a lefty and use any grid line to line up my raw edge then the measured line on the ruler is lined up with it. Then move left with each cut.
ditto'''''''''
Old 06-24-2014, 04:00 AM

I rarely use the lines on my mat, just out of habit. My first cutting mat didn't have lines on it so I never got into the habit of using them. I don't see why you can't use them as long as you check that they are accurate. Whatever works for you. Remember there are no quilt police:-)
Old 06-24-2014, 04:55 AM

I use both. Depends on how small and how accurate the pieces need to be. Sometimes the ruler just does better. The lines on a ruler are narrower and maybe make for better accuracy when cutting some pieces. But, let's face it, some of Jenny's techniques stink! She irons, not presses. She uses techniques that leave bias edges. However! The things she is demonstrating are not intricate or demanding of perfection that some patterns require. She is marketing her precuts and does things that work well with those and are fast and easy. Usually seams don't have to meet exactly like some designs do. She is having fun with what she does and is trying to spread that enthusiasm. I would not recommend her methods for the beginning quilter since she does "cut corners' on techniques. A more experienced quilter knows when to do that and when to do better. (Have you noticed she doesn't have a video on how to remove stitches? Most of her designs are pretty forgiving.)

Last edited by illinois; 06-24-2014 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:53 AM

I think you'll hear different Quilt Police rules from different sources. I think today's mats are better marked, I've always used the marks on my mat and have seen tutorials from well known names that say use the marks on your mat.
I think if you are consistent for cutting a whole project, whether it be the marks on the mat or just your ruler you will have good results.