Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good Sewing Thread >

Good Sewing Thread

Good Sewing Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Banned

Oh man.... you all are enablers!

I went over to massdrop to check out the Aurifil... and found the Oliso Pro iron over there for $120 with free shipping.

Now that I'm moving into my rolling cabin (I bought that used motorhome yesterday to have some "get away" space to sew and work on a few more patterns!) ... I'm thinking I need one set of gear to leave in the bus, and still have things at home, too.

Headed back to massdrop.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:23 PM
Banned

I'm baaaaack.

While I drooled over those colors of Aurifil, I decided to pop for the Oliso iron instead. I've been wanting one... and given my Elna Press isn't going to probably make the cut to get on the sewmobile (lol) ... I want a beefier iron for doing stabilizers, etc. when I'm off in my hideaway.

As for the Aurifil... what a great price! But I'm still trying to round out having doubles (one spool in my bag for classes, etc and one at home) and now I'm going to try to get triples (so one can stay on the bus) of my most used common colors.

When I need to do some topstitching, etc... (where I think having those yummy colors would be nice) ... I just raid my embroidery thread collection to finish off an item. So for me, right now, as hard as it is... I managed to pass on those color collections.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:44 PM

omg. The one has variegated colors. I must buy at least one collection-thanks for enabling!!
Old 06-25-2014, 10:44 PM

Rasant. I use it for ALL my stitching, hand, machine and long arm.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:53 AM

One of the best threads is SEW FINE 50 wt. made by SUPERIOR THREADS. It is Egyptian cotton, and has little to no dust associated with it. Presensia is an okay thread.

Gutterman was originally made in Germany. It used to be my best thread. It was bought out by another company, and the quality went downhill. Coats and Clark? I wouldn't bother with it.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:00 AM

Coats & Clark is actually pretty expensive if you look at how little you get per spool. And by contrast, Aurifil seems expensive until you do the math - there is a LOT of thread on each spool!

Aurifil is my favorite for piecing and SITD quilting, Connecting Threads is my favorite for quilting that I want to have show. I generally match threads, top & bobbin. (not necessarily color, but weight)

But this is one of those questions...ask 10 quilters and you'll get about 25 answers.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:46 AM

Have you changed the needle? Almost any thread will fray if there is a rough place on the needle. I am so guilty if not changing the needle often enough. froggyintexas
Old 06-26-2014, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I piece with Bottom Line.

Having said that, I agree with others who suggest a larger needle, or at least one with a larger eye, such as a topstitch.
I have had problems strip piecing with Bottom Line. When I cut through a line of stitching, it unravels really easily, even with a very small stitch.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:27 AM

I use Connecting Threads, have for years and have never had any problems. Plus their prices are terrific and the colors, oh the colors!
Old 06-27-2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sew Hooked View Post
One of the best threads is SEW FINE 50 wt. made by SUPERIOR THREADS. It is Egyptian cotton, and has little to no dust associated with it. Presensia is an okay thread.

Gutterman was originally made in Germany. It used to be my best thread. It was bought out by another company, and the quality went downhill. Coats and Clark? I wouldn't bother with it.

Isn't Sew Fine polyester? http://www.superiorthreads.com/produ...nd/so-fine-50/