Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 06-26-2014, 07:49 AM

Default old, odd, iron guess thats good enuf for me!

For some reason i got this one through Shop GW local outlet. $5 (+$4 handling) Couldnt redistance the old locomotive resemblance. Moved stiff, wiring shot. Oiling loosened it up, buy now it hand turns with an annoyong squeek.I used a screw driver to tfy and pinpoint, but its deceptive. I'll try stethoscope later. [ATTACH=CONFIG]480519[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]480520[/ATTACH]
debating about stripping it and repainting it sort of like the old Bi-centenial Souutthern Pacific. Lloco would be appropriate
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-23 19.32.45.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	480519   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-23 19.33.32.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	480520  
Old 06-26-2014, 07:57 AM

I meant this one http://eddiesrailroad.blogspot.com/2...steam.html?m=1
Old 06-26-2014, 08:14 AM
Banned

nice, i actually like that idea!
Old 06-26-2014, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]480520[/ATTACH]
debating about stripping it and repainting it sort of like the old Bi-centenial Souutthern Pacific. Lloco would be appropriate
Talk to me about this one. Last night I pulled 3 machines from the hoard trying to decided who is next. One of them is a brown MW with some oddness about it. It has a strange face, a bobbin winder I can't seem to figure out, a motor on a rocker spring and a little outlet box like yours with "chicago plugs".

The previous seemed to have it hard-wired into a table with wire nuts on the connections.

I'm a bit dubious about selling machines with wires nutted together. I haven't looked it over seriously yet, but is there a reason I couldn't wire it up with normal connections? Maybe into a dual outlet box or ?? I had never even heard of "chicago plugs" until recently. What are they?

Here is the machine, I know nothing about it...oh and the foot is weird too.. It seems to have a collar around it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Montgomery Wards No. 7.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	480521  
Old 06-26-2014, 08:58 AM

Yes, you could, bypass the plugs it came with. Just dont leave an open hole on the back where the power cord or FC connect, if someone could reach in with something and touch bare connectors on a term strip.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:07 AM

I'll probably have to stare at it awhile to get a better idea of what would be best. Could this be a White Rotary? I looked through my photos and have 3 similar machines with these collared feet.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:29 AM

They are different, and I think yours has reverse. Just not worth very much to most. I'm partial to forlorn orphans soadopt 'em.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
They are different, and I think yours has reverse. Just not worth very much to most. I'm partial to forlorn orphans soadopt 'em.
Aww the poor forlorn orphans.

This is another of the machines that came in with the 40. If I had been shopping for one at a time I am sure many of these would not have gotton my attention. Certainly not the plastics. I'm not sure on this one. It's interesting. I've never been drawn much to the White rotary machines, but under the Kenmore and Domestic names I seem to have them. It has some unique features. It'll be interesting getting this one together and giving it a test sew.

I wonder if I should hold off until my losing streak is over first?
Old 06-26-2014, 03:10 PM

I have one of those locomotive machines from MW. It was my mother in law's and she purchased it in 1947 to make clothes for her twins. One twin being my wife. It is made by Eldridge and takes a 20X1 needle. If yours is light made of aluminium it will take the 15X1 needle. It is a pretty good sewer. Mine is very heavy but has a cabinet with it.
Skip

PS somewhere I have a manual for it.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:34 PM

I don't have any photos, but I recently rescued a Singer 347 from the trash.
I still have the cabinet, but because it wasn't a machine I was particularly interested in, I spruced it up with the intention of finding a good home for it.

A couple of days later, a friend at work mentioned something about knitting, and I asked 'do you sew?', to which she replied sadly that she used to have a sewing machine but no longer did.

The next day, I brought the Singer into work and presented it to her, and she was delighted. She said 'I can make my curtains now!'.
It turned out that she had had the material to make her curtains for years but was unable to make them because her old machine died.

Deb is one of those 'motherly' types that all offices seem to have.
When I first started working at my job, she took me under her wing and made me feel welcome. It was nice to do something in return.

All it took was an hour of my time to clean, oil and adjust the machine, two minutes to print out the manual, and a buck at Walmart for some bobbins.

Last edited by Jamesbeat; 06-26-2014 at 03:41 PM.

FREE Quilting Newsletter