Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing help please >

Paper piecing help please

Paper piecing help please

Old 06-28-2014, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

I just saw a tutorial about "no tear" paper piecing which uses freezer paper. Can't remember the exact name of the tutorial, but it should be easy to locate. I haven't tried it, but it looked like an easier way to paper piece without tearing off all the paper when completed.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:26 AM

I started out using regular paper for printing in my printer. Then switched to tracing paper for hand drawn patterns for PP. Now I only use freezer paper, which I can send thru my printer one page at a time. I order it from www.cjenkinscompany.com. It comes 50 sheets/package. Since I can use one pattern multiple times (up to 7 or 8), I usually need to only print one copy. Cut off extra paper around the pattern, leaving 3/8 - 1/2" beyond the outer edge of the block. I fold back each line on the pattern, over a postcard, before I do anything else. Then iron the pattern a couple times to my pressing surface. This lets some lint and small threads stick to the back, which is what you want. It makes the freezer paper to not adhere so hard to the fabric of your block. Pressing it will not take away your fold lines, they will still be there. Then iron your first piece of fabric , with the wrong side to the freezer paper to your pattern. I lay the fabric down, wrong side up, fold back the pattern on the first line, lay the pattern on the fabric so the folded line is parallel with the grain line, open out the paper and press the #1 section to the fabric. Take it back to your cutting mat, fold back the pattern on the first line between shapes #1 & 2 and trim off the seam allowance, leaving 1/4 or 1/8" sticking out beyond the fold. Using an Add-A-Quarter or Add-An-Eighth ruler is very helpful for this step. Then line up your next fabric underneath w/ raw edges even, sew right next to the folded back freezer paper, with the needle going in right next to the fold. Iron once to set the seam, being careful to not hit the shiny side w/ your iron. Open the fabric at the seam and press again on the right side to open out that seam and adhere the new fabric section to the freezer paper. Fold back on the next sewing line, trim seam allowance, add next fabric section, sew and repeat. When all sections have been added, trim off the outside edges, making sure to leave seam allowance on all sides. When your block is complete, it's time to carefully peel off the freezer paper. I generally try to go at a diagonal across the block. Going one way vs another will cause less threads to ravel off the seam allowances. Here is where you will have some real trouble, if you did not iron your paper to your pressing surface, at the beginning. It will stick so tightly to the fabric, you won't be able to get them apart. There are videos on you tube showing this method of PP w/ freezer paper. I make PP patterns with many small to tiny sections and ripping off the paper was a real pain and time waster. One hour to remove paper on a 6" block - "No thanks".
Old 06-28-2014, 12:47 PM

Red face

Thanks Ladies for all of your help. Next time I'll iron the freezer paper to my ironing board a couple of times before I attach it to my fabric.

I did peel it off very slowly, and carefully. Finally managed.

Here is my small quilt. It's a design called Woven Stars Quilt free from www.andoverfabrics.com

Joan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photosmaller.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	480761  
Old 06-28-2014, 01:06 PM

Manila paper---sometimes called newsprint, I think--- works well for me. It's cheap and easy to get off. You can find it (look for a pad of kid's drawing paper) at WalMart, Target, grocery stores, etc and I buy the big size (18" x 24") at the local teacher's store. I sometimes enlarge PP designs and this size of paper is great for those.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:13 PM

I use vellum - it will go through my printer, is see through, and tears easily. I buy a pad of it at the office supply store and cut the large sheets in half so that they are 81/2 by 11. This works great!
Old 06-28-2014, 03:55 PM

That's what I was thinking I read before. Someone on this board recommended thin non-fusible interfacing. Print your block on it, and you don't have to tear it away when you're done. You press it to freezer paper to get it to go through the printer.

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Everyone is confusing Freezer PP with regular. you do not stitch through the paper with Freezer paper, you fold it back and stitch next to the fold. The beauty of the FPP method is not tearing and you can reuse the patter piece multiple times. Here is a link to FPP with pictures so those of you who comment that you use cheap computer paper, Carol Doaks, kids scribble pads can understand the difference.. http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21.

Regarding the OP's issue of fabric fraying when you pull away the paper. I have never had that happen more than a few threads. Try hitting it with your iron again before peeling. That should remelt the waxy coating enough to get it to release easily but you may sacrifice the amount of times you can reuse your pattern piece.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:42 PM

I"ve used the Sulky paper for paper piecing. It works great but is pricey. Cheap multipurpose computer paper works fine. The cheap stuff is lighter weight and easier to pull off after you're done.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Everyone is confusing Freezer PP with regular. you do not stitch through the paper with Freezer paper, you fold it back and stitch next to the fold. The beauty of the FPP method is not tearing and you can reuse the patter piece multiple times. Here is a link to FPP with pictures so those of you who comment that you use cheap computer paper, Carol Doaks, kids scribble pads can understand the difference.. http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21.

Regarding the OP's issue of fabric fraying when you pull away the paper. I have never had that happen more than a few threads. Try hitting it with your iron again before peeling. That should remelt the waxy coating enough to get it to release easily but you may sacrifice the amount of times you can reuse your pattern piece.
Looking at this site confirms to me that I will NEVER be smart enough to do ever attempt EPP!
Old 06-29-2014, 02:47 AM

Love the quilt!!!!!
Old 06-29-2014, 04:37 AM

Some folks use telephone book pages. If you have access to the paper used in doctor's offices to cover the exam table or blank newsprint they work well. Also the white sheets provided by movers for wrapping breakables works well. Probably best if not used for wrapping before. It does help with removal of any paper if one folds on all the lines "before" stitching.