Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
how to erase your house from google maps >

how to erase your house from google maps

how to erase your house from google maps

Old 06-28-2014, 07:20 AM

I went to google earth to see what my house looked like and it turned out they were showing my neigbor's house as mine. Oops! I couldn't figure out how to even see my house, so I guess I'm safer than I thought!
Old 06-28-2014, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I love Google Earth! I can be anywhere in the world I want to be in just a few seconds. LOL. The amount of tiny islands in the ocean that have populations is amazing to me. I love the fact I can cruise the streets and sightsee just like I was driving, camel riding, or cart pulling as the case may be. I love to visit historical and ancient sites. If my little ole home is something someone wants to see then fine with me.
Have you ever checked out Geoguessr? It's an online game based on Google maps that shows you a picture somewhere in the world, and you have to guess where you are. You can move up and down the streets a ways for clues. Usually license plates on cars are blurred for privacy, but sometimes you can tell from signage what language is used, or you can see what side of the road people are driving on, or...it's fun to stretch your mind to figure it out. In the end, you click where on a map you think you might be, and then the screen shows you where you actually are, and you get points depending on how close you guess. It's fun!

https://geoguessr.com/
Old 06-28-2014, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

If you like the show Doc Martin you can tour the town where it is filmed. I think Port Isaac has to be the most charming place on earth.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:49 PM

I love Google Earth! I can be anywhere in the world I want to be in just a few seconds. LOL. The amount of tiny islands in the ocean that have populations is amazing to me. I love the fact I can cruise the streets and sightsee just like I was driving, camel riding, or cart pulling as the case may be. I love to visit historical and ancient sites. If my little ole home is something someone wants to see then fine with me.
I agree. When I first saw the aerial view of my house, I was astonished at how huge the oak tree on the north side of the front yard is. I would have sworn the magnolia tree on the south was taller. At this point in my life, I know anyone who really wants to find me will be able to do so no matter whether my house is on Google. But for those it bothers, by all means delete/blur/obscure the image of your house at least until the Google or someone else takes the next photographs. froggyintexas
Old 06-28-2014, 06:01 PM

We were amazed a few years ago when our nephew (a computer geek...does it for his job all day long) asked us what his uncle was doing on the roof! Huh? Seems that when the Google Earth vehicle came down our street, hubby was on the roof doing maintenence!! We've moved and the picture has changed, but I think of that when I go to Google Earth.
Edited to remove name. Privacy IS an illusion, but still...
Old 06-28-2014, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

If you see the Google vehicle coming, wave!
Old 06-29-2014, 04:40 AM

If you see the Google vehicle coming, wave!

What does it look like? Does it have GOOGLE emblazoned on its sides?

Why didn't I think of this....am thinking of moving to another part of country....great way to check out the neighborhood!
Old 06-29-2014, 04:57 AM

Mine has a street view but it was from about 10 yrs ago, so it's not updated that often.

Originally Posted by babasil View Post
My address doesnt have a street view.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:56 AM

Love going back to places I lived growing up 50+ years ago and seeing what it looks like to day. Have nothing to hide anyway.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:36 AM

If you're coming to visit me, please don't use Google or any of the other mapfinders. You better follow my directions or you will find yourself going off the side of a mountain! If you look on Googlemaps, my house and road are about a quarter mile off target. Now if you use the satellite view, you can find my house, well at least you can see the woods where my house is located! And the directions you get from n-line sources aren't always that good either. A few years ago my nephew was coming to visit. I told him the way to come that would have him on the interstate and then a 4-lane highway until the last 17miles. But, no, what does an old lady aunt know? He used his phone for mapping and went through every little small town at the base of our mountains- added who knows how many miles to his trip and he was over an hour late getting here! And, before you ask, yes, I do use Google when I'm going some place I'm not familiar with, but I usually pull out a paper map and double check it before I leave home. Sometimes those "direct" routes take you through areas you don't want to be in!