Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have You Tried Dream Green Batting? >

Have You Tried Dream Green Batting?

Have You Tried Dream Green Batting?

Old 06-30-2014, 03:07 AM

Here's a link that discusses this batting and also clarifies the number of bottles kept out of landfills. It's 10 bottles per pound of batting and so forth. Interesting. I'm a cotton batting person but will look into this.

http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/dream-green.htm
Old 06-30-2014, 04:31 AM

I've recently used it once and I'll definitely use it again.. I loved it.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:18 AM

When I first started quilting I took a basic class at my LQS and they recommended Dream Green. I kept using it but they kept 'not having it' when I went to buy packages so I finally just ordered a roll on line and I've been doing it ever since. I really like this batting and it is so much better to have a roll than to be constantly buying packages.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
If it's made from recycled plastics, how does it behave in a fire? Anyone know?
This is my question also. I was just following a thread about identifying fabrics by how they burn and a batting that is made of plastic causes me to pause. Yes, I know that cotton bat will also burn but it is more about how it burns that concerns me. Any one out there try the burn test on this batting?
Old 06-30-2014, 05:25 AM

I only used Dream Green once. I was perfectly satisfied with it as I am with all their products. The only drawback I find is that when doing a quilt with a lot of white in it - check to be sure that light green doesn't show through. That's why I only used one. I tend to do most of my quilts with a lot of white in them. I love the crisp clean look of white and that faint green showing through doesn't work for me so I just keep white poly on hand.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:35 AM

I've used it once, but only because it's not stocked on a regular basis at Hobby Lobby or Joann's. My LAQ had it and asked if I wanted to try it. Perfect! It's very warm and the finished quilt doesn't get all wrinkly (I know, I know, some folks prefer the wrinkly look) so the piecing and quilting show up well. No complaints here.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:04 AM

Yep!! I like Quilter's Dream battings in general and I use the Green Dream batting interchangeably with "regular" white polyester batting. As someone said, watch out for the green showing through on white quilts! Since they're recycled, I've noticed some are brighter green, some are more of a greyish-green color. Will be the perfect batting to use on the Minecraft "Creeper" quilts I'm going to make for my niece & nephew for Christmas.

It's just as safe/dangerous as regular poly batting is, as far as fires, etc. go. Polyester IS a type of plastic; this poly batt is just made from recycled plastic rather than raw. And I love that it's recycled!
Old 06-30-2014, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I am an avid recycler and like to use products with recycled materials when possible. I recently saw a package of batting called Dream Green made from recycled plastic bottles. From the package it looks pretty nice but wondered if anyone has tried it? If so, what do you think? I am making some charity quilts for teenagers and am thinking about it.
I LOVE THIS BATTING!! My long arm loves it too! I use this for all of my charity quilts..........it washes up like a dream...next to no lint..no bearding (altho the green color will show some if you have very light fabrics, so try and get the lightest green you can find (the very light ones do not show thru at all)....the quilts are super warm......this bakking is just wonderful for baby quiltws and quilts for children that will get a lot of wear and tear and washing....I think you will really like it!
Old 06-30-2014, 06:46 AM

Thanks so much for all your feedback. I have ordered some and am looking forward to trying it. I really like the idea of supporting the reuse of plastic materials--and the fact it is the same price (or less) as new polyester batting makes it even better! I do often use a lot of white in my quilts so will have to watch for the green color showing through--thanks for that head's up! Seems like the 'melt in fire' situation would be the same for all polyester battings, whether from recycled plastic or not. So for those that prefer fire-retardant fabrics/materials for crib/baby items, this might be a concern, although I don't know of any cotton batting that is fire retardant?? And I agree I would not use any polyester batting for something like hot pads, trivet pads, etc. that come into contact with high heat. If you can't find it locally, I do see it for sale on Amazon and ebay too.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:21 AM

I've tried it too, and it's very soft - you really don't expect it to be, but it is..