Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Wife Is “Cutting Up” Again.... >

My Wife Is “Cutting Up” Again....

My Wife Is “Cutting Up” Again....

Old 06-29-2014, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats View Post
That's a lot of cutting....
Well, not really. She cut the 2,460 off-white squares (plus extras just because), plus the strips and rectangles that she needs, while I was out mowing the lawn (2 lots, front and back yards, about 2 hours because I ran out of gas and had to refuel), and she still had time to help me move things to get a good mowing job done, and then move them back. She even brought me cold beer when I needed one (only in the fenced-in backyard, away from traffic, of course).

You forget that there are tools now to do these kinds of things. She has a ruler that makes it possible to cut 336 1-inch squares at a time, and simply turn the cutting board one time. In the photos, there are 4 layers of off-white fabric. The ruler (shown to the left in the first photo) she used is from June Taylor called a “Shape Cut”, and it has slots on the 1/2 inch so that you can cut several times without moving the ruler. She used the 1” slots in this case. After the two cuts, she simply placed the 1" squares into a basket for future use.

Tricky, huh? But, she’ll still have to cut the print fabrics individually......and you guys thought this was going to be hard.....

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140629_99_Bottles_01.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	480922   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140629_99_Bottles_02.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	480923  

Last edited by ThayerRags; 06-29-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
She loves to make scrappy quilts, and has decided to begin making a “99 Bottles” Quilt (62” x 78”) that she found in the Scraptherapy Scraps Plus One book by Joan Ford.

It calls for 2460 1-inch squares of one off-white fabric. Then, there will be an additional 1968 1-inch squares of print fabrics that she plans to get by cutting 492 of her 2-inch squares into quarters. Then, there will be some 31 2”x14” strips and 40 2”x2.5” rectangles that will need to be cut to go with them.

She’ll have to sew things together as she goes to keep all of the print fabrics together (mini 9-patch blocks), but I think she’s just getting to be a real cut up, don’t you?

Anyone else enjoy this kind of cutting up?

CD in Oklahoma
She does know if she cuts 1" pieces and uses a 1/4" allowance, her piece will only be 1/2" when she's done, doesn't she? I'd keep her doctor on speed dial when she starts sewing!
Old 06-29-2014, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by pennycandy View Post
Only if I were making a pot holder.
at a half inch finished size, you'd need 20 squares per row and 20 rows. 400 pieces????????????? Not this gal! (for a 10" pot holder to fit a big hand!)
Old 06-29-2014, 04:27 PM

I love what your wife is doing! I am fascinated by tiny pieces and am working on a postage stamp quilt. Maybe when I finish it I will graduate to what she is doing!
Old 06-30-2014, 02:09 AM

CD, I can't wait to see the quilt when she finishes! I'm glad some people have the patience for this, since they are so pretty. I'd have to do it in the leader-ender type of way, but it is very doable. Please post pics of her progress. Tell her I said "You go Girl!"
Old 06-30-2014, 04:37 AM

I happen to be one that like to cut also. I would love to see her progress.

Susan
Old 06-30-2014, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

A fun project! I also enjoy working with small pieces, and have many squares for postage stamp (1.5") squares.
Hope to see her progress in the future. Happy sewing!
Old 06-30-2014, 06:03 AM

She loves to make scrappy quilts, and has decided to begin making a “99 Bottles” Quilt (62” x 78”) that she found in the Scraptherapy Scraps Plus One book by Joan Ford.

It calls for 2460 1-inch squares of one off-white fabric. Then, there will be an additional 1968 1-inch squares of print fabrics that she plans to get by cutting 492 of her 2-inch squares into quarters. Then, there will be some 31 2”x14” strips and 40 2”x2.5” rectangles that will need to be cut to go with them.

She’ll have to sew things together as she goes to keep all of the print fabrics together (mini 9-patch blocks), but I think she’s just getting to be a real cut up, don’t you?

Anyone else enjoy this kind of cutting up?

CD in Oklahoma
CD, I would never get it cut out let alone sewn up. My hat is off to Her. Hope to see Pic's when finished. You are great for bragging on Her. Sounds like a great couple.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:08 AM

I tryin' to decide if your braggin' or complainin'... <giggles!> Totally agree with you about the shape cut. Made working on the Birthday Quilt and Ohmigosh so much easier!

She's going to have a blast...the hardest part will be stopping once she's got the quilt finished...those little blocks are like popcorn!

Julie
Old 06-30-2014, 01:21 PM

I see where you’re going with this, but she already has her print fabric cut into 2” squares, so it won’t help to make strips with them. It could have, had she decided to use 1” strips, but she’s using 2” squares instead. Also, during her selection of 2” squares, only 6 squares of the same fabric print will be used, so it will end up being extremely scrappy with no repeating color scheme which using strips lends itself to very nicely.

So, yes, she will actually cut all 1” squares and sew them all together, but will be using the Bonnie K Hunter method from her book “Leaders & Enders” for most of the blocks while she works on other quilt projects. Sort of like “multi-tasking”. In other words, while she’s working on a table runner, small seasonal throw, or any other sewing project for the next several months, she will sew two of these 1” squares together as an ender every time she needs to remove work from her presser foot. She will sew two 1” squares together, or strips of them, instead of lifting her foot and cutting her threads. Once a mini 9-patch is completed, it will be set aside and another set of 1” blocks with a different print will become the leaders and enders.

There may be times when she sets down to simply make mini 9-patch blocks for the 99 Bottles quilt, but probably not that often. She’s going to take advantage of the Leaders & Enders method to get them done.

I should add that even though she does alterations and repairs at the shop for 9 hours each weekday, she usually sews at home for several hours each evening, so she spends a lot of time sewing. She won’t do any of these blocks at the shop, because of different stitch lengths, stitch patterns, and thread colors/types involved in alterations. She’ll make them all at home in the evenings and weekends.

Did I mention that my wife loves to sew?

CD in Oklahoma
Just want to say I love your sense of humor as you write and your obvious love for your lucky wife. You two make a wonderful match in my opinion, please keep us all informed on her progress.
Jeri