Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Painted Featherweight Machines >

Painted Featherweight Machines

Painted Featherweight Machines

Old 07-01-2014, 01:09 AM

Post Painted Featherweight Machines

I am looking to purchase a painted Featherweight machine. If you have purchased one, could you tell me where you purchased from and if you were happy with your purchase. Of course price information would be beneficial as I am trying to buy one at the best price that I can.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2014, 04:42 AM

I see them on eBay from time to time. There are a couple on there now for $500+, which seems to be the going rate.

I don't have any experience with the quality of such an item, though.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:31 AM

I would suggest finding a dedicated featherweight community and post the same question. There are some quality restorers out there that repaint and sell a quality machine. I would hate to spend the money on one and get a dud. I don't think there are any here currently, unless they are just lurking and not posting.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:14 AM

Not sure what your budget is but I found this site. Curiosity got the better of me and I had to see what they might look like. Love the green one!

http://www.roxannequilts.com/featherweights.html
Old 07-02-2014, 03:54 AM

I would love a painted FW. I have 3 machines currently. None in bad enough shape to repaint. Candy Apple Red would be my choice if I ever have one that needs painting. :-)
Old 07-02-2014, 06:51 AM

I have one with a really bad finish that I'm thinking of having painted Candy Apple Red. Most sites I've found charge around $400 for the repaint on your machine so if you find one for $500 already painted that would be a good price.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:36 AM

I went to that site and spent 10 whole minutes just drooling my heart out. I have four black and one white FWs, one from the year of my birth that is in not so good condition. I may give some thought to calling them and having it redone in either purple or bright yellow. The key word here being "maybe" for I have been thinking along these lines ever since a trip to Paducah about 5 or 6 years ago. Money talks, and every day something else comes up that is more interesting than spending $500 on a machine that wouldn't get very much use.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:07 PM

Bonnie Hunter mentioned someone recently in one of her blog posts who repaints machines. Sometime in the last week IIRC.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:00 AM

I see someone has already posted Roxannes (a wish and a dream) in Carpenteria, California
this lady and this shop are highly respected and reccommended. IMHO
Old 07-03-2014, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by boysmomoflabs View Post
Not sure what your budget is but I found this site. Curiosity got the better of me and I had to see what they might look like. Love the green one!

http://www.roxannequilts.com/featherweights.html
I love the red/white polka dot one!!! I own a beautiful red one (named Lucy) I purchased several years ago from a vendor at the Pigeon Forge show. The gentleman is from Missouri and I know he cents at other shows - just can't remember his name, etc. at the moment. I paid $799 for her and have also,purchased a black 222 from him at a different show. The painted ones will cost several hundred dollars more because of the painting - it's auto body paint - really good - and the machine has to be completely disassembled to paint it correctly and then reassembled - lots and lots of labor. But I love them all the same. It will be interesting how the prices hold up for painted machines in years to come (like 20, 30 and more).

Sandy in Mooresville, NC