Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any suggestions for new machine? >

Any suggestions for new machine?

Any suggestions for new machine?

Old 07-01-2014, 06:38 AM

Thanks for all of the tips. They have been very helpful. I plan to visit a sewing/quilting expo next week to test drive a variety of machines.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:33 PM

I have a straight stitch only Juki TL2010q that I absolutely adore and that replaced my Janome Horizon 7700.
The Juki is designed for piecing and FMQing, has wide bed, speed control, and is fine w all threads I've tried thus far. I smile whenever I use it. Plus, it's mechanical, not computerized, so there aren't those concerns It won't become obsolete in the next 5 years and it cost way less than the Horizon.
It sews stitches that are more beautiful than my vintage Berninas (imo) and it comes w all the feet needed to start quilting!

Imo, it's reliable, the foot control thread cutter is fantastic, the knee lift is convenient, the threader is easy to work, it doesn't require a 'leader' when starting a seam, etc. etc. etc. It is a quality machine through and through. I own(ed) many different machines and this is my favorite. I enjoy it far more than the Janome Horizon 7700MCP I owned previously. I find it far easier to get a consistent scant 1/4" seam allowance on this machine.
It comes w 3 different 1/4" feet: the all-purpose straight stitch, the compensating, and the walking one. I've used them all, depending upon my needs.
I chose this model based on 1) my desire for solely a straight stitch machine w a large throat space, and 2) the outstanding reviews I consistently read about it,

Some people say the threader is difficult. Make sure needle is in its highest position and the presser foot is lowered. I personally haven't found any issue w it but if you do, there is a brief video by gardenspeak on YouTube that may be helpful.

Enjoy whatever machine you decide on
Old 07-01-2014, 11:28 PM

I have the Janome 8900 and love it to pieces.