Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response >

dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response

dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response

Old 07-09-2014, 05:29 AM

I would not buy a expensive machine online. What do you do if it just does not work. Send it back. Good Luck.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:42 AM
ro
Banned

what you buy in walmart/joanns etc is different. usually you cannot buy the exact same machine in a fabric shop. brother makes machines for the lower end stores and the machines are lower end. they do not sell these models to fabric shops. besides, as mentioned in a million other posts when you buy from a dealer you get their help w/whatever you need.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:47 AM

I bought my Juki from a local dealer for 1,000. He started out at 1,100 but came down a little with bargaining. He didn't have any in stock so ordered it and it arrived in 2-3 days. My point is I think your dealer is marking up too high at the start and my machine was shipped in the box. When it came in I went to the store and we unpacked it together and I had him show me how it worked, threaded, etc for about 30 minutes, took it home and was off and running. If your dealer won't come down more, I think you get the same machine if purchased directly online.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:52 AM

I worked for Viking Husqvarna New Business Development inside a JoAnns for a while. My guess is that the dealer "chooses" not to match a price - she does have that amount of flexibility on the price but chooses to have a greater profit. My recommendation is call another dealer just for a comparison. On the up side, she will deliver (if she is a good dealer) support, classes and warranty support - which for some sewers that type of support is essential. Question is - Is that support worth $600 to you? As someone else commented that $600 almost purchases another machine.

Patrice brings up several valid points about returns, refunds, restocking and repair.Make sure that you know all the ifs ands and buts before you click "buy" online. I know several online friends who have purchased from AllBrands and have been very happy. They are a HUGE sewing machine seller from Baton Rouge LA and their price is about the same as you quoted. Just note ,that generally once it is delivered it is yours.

I agree - if you have the time and will be near a show look there. I, myself, would start by calling all the dealers within 4 hr from my home. I might even call Juki and ask about how warranty work is accomplished on machines purchased online. I personally would not hesitate to purchase one online. Always remember - an informed purchaser is a happy one - lol. Best of luck with your choice.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:59 AM

I asked the Brother rep when the dealer tried to feed me this nonsense when I got my PQ1500s. She said they all made at the same place and exactly the same machine.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:17 AM

My husband was in the Navy. I never had any problem getting service for a machine I had bought elsewhere. My newest Bernina I bought on eBay. My local dealer is over an hour away. They service it for me. I just bought a LA from Sewing Machines Plus. I don't expect any trouble finding a dealer for service.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:59 AM

I bought a top of the line Brother from a dealer that is an hour away from where I live. I went to one class but found I did just as well sitting down with the manual and practicing! His service sucked to the point that I would rather not step foot in his shop. Certainly will not give him my business. I bought a reasonably price Janome on line and love it. I use it to take to my quilt club and classes et. Ive had it for three years and still have not even had it serviced although it is now showing signs of needing it. My advice, order online! Save your money.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:06 AM

I bought from and trust SewingMachinesPlus online. I didn't care about classes. There are tons of videos online to learn anything you need to know. There are no dealers close to me. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:53 AM

thank all of you for your kind help on this. if i bought into all that swamp land stuff i would not have taken the time to write to ask all of you for your opinions and help with this. you were all so helpful. i have sent a note to juki and am awaiting their reply. i will gladly forward it on to all of you! thank you again for your assistance and opinions!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:59 AM

I bought a Juki 2010Q not too long ago. First the $1,600 price the dealer quoted you is way too high. If you know how to use a sewing machine at all, the learning curve on this model is quite easy. I bought mine from a dealer in the Woodlands, TX, at "show price" $895.00. True story.