Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the oddest gift you received this year? >

What is the oddest gift you received this year?

What is the oddest gift you received this year?

Old 12-27-2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by bebe
well for the last 3 years one of my friends gives me the same gift but in different colors this year was a zebra print w/ bright huge flowers yukky. She gives me a mumu gown which I hate. Every year after Christmas it goes to the thrift store. What is sadder I have lost weight since last year but I get the same size. I hate to tell her anything but this insanity needs to stop. I hate those gowns. Should I tell her how I feel????
You really are in a tough spot!!! Yes, you need to find a way to tell her without hurting her feelings. Perhaps tell her how excited you are to have lost weight, and are looking forward to wearing more slimming clothing from now on.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

Should I tell her how I feel????
I would put the gown on over my own clothes. Unless she is blind, you should not have to "say" anything.

If she still doesn't get it. all bets would be off. Depending on how big or how ludicrous/hideous the thing is you can make some off-handed comment that it would come in handy for a couch cover, chair cover, hot-air balloon bag, summer tent - take your pick, because OBVIOUSLY, it does not fit YOU!
Old 12-27-2009, 12:25 PM

Nothing really odd this year, we drew names with both my family and hubby's family. I was supposed to get a gift card from his sister and she gave me cash instead, lol.

I have two really odd ones from previous years. One year (before I started sewing) we really needed an ironing board and hubby bought me one for Christmas and wrapped it, I was looking at it next to the tree and I turned to him and asked "did you get me an ironing board?", lol. He was still learning how to be a good hubby and didn't realize that it shouldn't have been considered a gift.

Another weird one was my ex-husband got me a glock 40 (yea a gun) for Christmas. I never asked for it and still can't figure out why any guy would think their wife would want a gun for Christmas, I should have used it on him.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:33 PM

well for the last 3 years one of my friends gives me the same gift but in different colors this year was a zebra print w/ bright huge flowers yukky. She gives me a mumu gown which I hate. Every year after Christmas it goes to the thrift store. What is sadder I have lost weight since last year but I get the same size. I hate to tell her anything but this insanity needs to stop. I hate those gowns. Should I tell her how I feel????
Can you use the fabric for charity quilts? Maybe make her a quilt from all of them.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:10 PM

the mumu is gone!!!!out of my life :-D :-D :-D
the fabric was some kind of silky crap w/ zebr stripes and purple and hot pink floers. looked like it came out of someones 70's closet not from a store :-D i have not seen mumus since I was a young girl and my momn wore it in the 70's i think!!!1
Old 12-27-2009, 02:57 PM

My son was giving me grief that I only had 3 rolls of wrapping paper to use for wrapping gifts, this year. So what did he give me? Wrapping paper for next year, two packages with 3 and four rolls in each!
Old 12-27-2009, 03:09 PM

to a thrift store near by :D :D :D
Old 12-27-2009, 03:22 PM

At least the mumus gave us a laugh.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:16 PM

Maybe you should cut them up and put them in a quilt. Then when the quilt was finished you could "gift" her with all those " hated" mumu's....Too Funny!
Old 12-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

Oh yeah Bebe.....a quilt made of those "delightful" mumus! I haven't seen one in years! I remember when they were "in" and Mom got one somewhere. I think she wore it once. Where in the world would one buy a Mumu now??? Other than your local thrift store that is??? :lol: :lol:

Luckily, I didn't get the weird gift. Mom and I used to pass a box back and forth. It was a really old gift box from one of the bigger department stores. Our "special" gift was always in that box. I don't know what happened to it after she passed away, but it was a lot of fun...we always looked forward to "the box"! That poor thing was held together with soo much tape that you could barely see the picture that the box once had on it. :-D