Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thrift shop quilt--60s or 70s fabric? >

thrift shop quilt--60s or 70s fabric?

thrift shop quilt--60s or 70s fabric?

Old 07-13-2014, 07:16 AM

Combination, 60's through 80's...a few maybe a bit earlier.

Originally Posted by Marcia_PA View Post
I found this at a thrift shop for $2 so I bought it. It looks like fabric from the 60s or 70s, what do you think?

Some of the blocks are fraying/pulling apart and the front is turned over and stitched to a hospital blanket backing--stamped Trumbull Memorial Hospital (which I looked up and is in Warren, OH).

I'm thinking of taking off the ties and removing from the backing, machine stitching all the blocks that need re-sewn, and putting on a different back, finishing with an envelope instead of binding. A lot of work, but worth it, do you think?
Old 07-13-2014, 07:19 AM

I would save it...I think of the person that made it...probably their first quilt. It's a good one for practice in repairing, restoring a quilt. Can be used as a picnic cloth, for grandbabies to lie on...they would love all those colors!

Originally Posted by Marcia_PA View Post
I've learned (from previous posts I've made and reading posts others have made) that we all have different opinions. If I hadn't wanted to hear them, I wouldn't have asked. I'm not offended.

That said, I may wait until the spirit moves me and take the whole thing apart and separate the blocks and do something new with them. Then again, maybe I won't! Even I don't know. I was a teen and young woman in the 60s and 70s and while I don't remember any particular one of these fabrics, the whole style of them reminds me of those years.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

I would take it apart, rearrange the blocks and sew back together with a different back and quilt it up. Don't know the age of the fabrics.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:45 AM

If you really look at it, it looks like there is a theme. I think the fab spans three decades, 60's - 80's. You can see it if you look at each selection of different fabrics. I wonder if it was a family quilt, maybe clothing made for or by that family, remnants sewn into a quilt, perhaps as a gift.

What you could do if you want to rescue it is remove the backing, iron it as flat as possible, then fuse a light interfacing to it. You wouldn't have to worry about the fraying pieces and if you attempt to take it apart you may lose more than you think. Then just back it with a fleece and tie it, or whatever your preference is.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:50 AM

I would repair the areas that are coming apart. Then I would cut "new" blocks out of the top....maybe on point. Then I would sash them with a coordinating solid and quilt with large meander. Would make good car quilt, picnic, etc. Only do what pleases YOU!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:58 AM

Now this is just my opinion, but...if I had bought this quilt, I would wash and dry it. If it survives then take it apart and redo. If it does not survive then toss it. Especially if it has any kind of odor. I don't care for smelly things.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:02 AM

For 2 bucks? It looks like it would be worth that! colors are bright and clear yet.
I made garments from just such materials for my girls (they learned to sew also on fabric like these) 75-80..I also have a few pieces from 40's that are close.(in old blocks)
Have fun and if it is more than you want to do..there are lots of things to use it for!
I can not believe the price of fabric today! beautiful as they are!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

What a fun thread to follow. I like the quilt, but probably would've passed on it cuz I have a couple of quilts in disrepair of my own!!

I like your original idea for upon closer inspection the quilt has a charm of it's own..... but what fun to do as southernmema suggests, too.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:46 AM

Most are in the late 60's and 70's. I see some that I made halted tops for my youngest daughter out of in late 60's.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:17 AM

I love it. And would have bought it in a NY minute given the chance. And would be working on ideas every night as I go to sleep until I could take it apart and do as you seem inclined to do. Good luck, you did good.