Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fast forward twenty years >

Fast forward twenty years

Fast forward twenty years

Old 07-16-2014, 08:48 AM

I'm not worried about it one bit - hand making things in general is really popular with people of all ages. I know my 9 year old niece & 13 year old nephew both have that itch to create, so I made sure to hook them up with a sewing machine and a whole box full of fabric and supplies. I can't wait to see what they make! (I'm really hoping for some handmade gifts from them this Christmas, lol.)
Old 07-16-2014, 09:44 AM

I believe it will go on - the Modern guild and conference has generated a lot of interest. Yes there are some older members but I would bet that at least 75% of them are young. The couple of meetings I went to here (conflicts with my work schedule) it was 95% young women. A lot of them had brought small children with them and there was more breast feeding than I had seen in one place in quite some time. If you look at the designers, there are a lot of younger people there so I believe that they will hold their interest.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:30 PM

I got my first sewing machine for Christmas when I was about 14. It was a used one, but it was probably one of my favorite Christmas gifts EVER! My sister taught me how to sew when I was 10. I used that machine for nearly 10 years. Of my two girls, the older one has gotten her own sewing machine and actually made her very first quilt a few months ago. I taught my younger daughter's girl scout group how to sew for their Silver Award project. Each girl put together 2 baby quilts which we donated at Parkland Hospital. I'm always trying to plant seeds with younger folks about how enjoyable it is to quilt.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:31 PM

I think there is an ebb and flow. Quilting gets really popular then something else is more popular but quilting always comes back.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:51 PM

I'm young(er) (mid-20's) and while I can't say I personally know people in my age range that quilt, I do know some that sew clothes (one sews Civil War era clothes). I think sites like Youtube and blogging have made it more accessible; puts it on the front burner, people see it and think "I want to do that." Plus, there are a lot of fresh, modern prints on the market too.

Edit to add that I think cost may be an issue as well...there's a pretty high start up cost usually, and it doesn't get much cheaper from there. It really is an expensive hobby, best suited for those with steady incomes or retirement funds. That can keep a lot of younger people out.

Last edited by Skylark53; 07-16-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:50 AM

I think that in 20 years quilting will be appreciated for the art that it is. Kids aren't automatically being taught sewing in school anymore -- at least in my neck of the woods. So sewing will be viewed as either a skill or an artform depending on what's being sewn. That's a far cry from the necessary know-how it was seen as being when I was growing up.

I love the modern quilt movement and how it's affected everything. Just the plethora of fabrics we have to choose from is exhilarating. Making a traditional pattern with modern prints or batiks makes everything old new again. I love that younger quilters question old ways and explore new ideas -- which redefines how a quilt should "look". They have fun which is what it's really all about most of the time. And as long as they're having fun, quilting isn't in any danger of dying.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:48 AM

Quilting and sewing is alive and well. "Cotton & Steel" is the new generation taking quilting into the future. Lots of bloggers, Etsy, Pinterest activities. Shops are popping up with modern quilters sharing and teaching others. (Crimson Tate in Indianapolis, IN, GInger Threads in Bedford, Indiana come to my mind) all have and use Facebook with much success.

Notice the new look of quilting thanks to MO Star. Even Fons & Porter magazines have brightened up from just a few years ago. Qeneration Q magazine among other new pubplications have shown up on newstands and in shops.

Sewing machines get more sophisticated. Social media is a buzz. All is well!

sandy
Old 07-17-2014, 02:53 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by deedum View Post
I can't but help but wonder where the quilt industry will be in 20 plus years. I am not sure how many young people even sew on a button these days. Am I missing something somewhere on this? Will the quilting industry be anywhere near what it is now? I
None of my family is interested other than to compliment something I have made. Everyone thinks it's too much work. I imagine my stuff will go to the Goodwill. It's sad.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:47 AM

I have four daughters. Two don't sew a thing. One of the two owns a sewing machine but doesn't know how to thread it even. The third daughter works so many hours it's pitiful but she does sew occasionally and does a fine job. She is interested in quilting and has made one quilt top and did a great job. She sews for her grandkids when she can get the time. The fourth was such a tomboy when she was young, but has grown into a wonderful quilter. She has done other sewing too. She owns a commercial embroidery machine and does custom embroidery and now custom free motion quilting and does an astounding job. You can never predict what your kids will want to do. The grandkids at this point in time, are not interested in sewing or quilting, but they sure love getting a quilt. So who knows maybe in the future some of them will take it up.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:00 AM

I don't think I'm that young (36!), but I really became interested in quilting at 30. Didn't start quilting until I was 33, but since then have taught (and hooked!) two ladies my age. I guess we're the inbetweeners?!