Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Red Snapper  quilt  loading system, what you think >

Red Snapper quilt loading system, what you think

Red Snapper quilt loading system, what you think

Old 07-16-2014, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by scrappy happy View Post
thank you all for your in put. have one more question. How much of the edge of the quilt is left un
quilted when using the red snapper
None of the edge of the quilt is left unquilted, at least not the way I do it.

I sew a straight line all across the top, through the back and batting. Then I pin the top of the quilt lined up with that line of thread, and then stabilize it by quilting a little less than 1/4" in from the edge of the top. I usually float the rest of the quilt top, but sometimes I do roll the bottom of the quilt top using the red snappers. When I do that, I take the snappers off when I get close to the bottom of the quilt top so I can quilt to the edge.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:43 PM

this is what I use and just love it well worth the money
Old 07-16-2014, 09:03 PM

LOVE my Red Snappers!!!!! After taking almost an hour pinning my first quilt on the frame and bleeding from the pin sticks, I thought I had made the most expensive mistake of my life. I can get a quilt loaded in about 15 minutes and off the frame in less than 10 minutes.

I love my Red Snappers !!!
Old 07-17-2014, 03:51 AM

I have tried just about everything, and now I use the red snappers. It is time saving, however they are pretty tight fitting at first, but they seem to be loosening up, or maybe I am getting use to putting them on. You do have to be careful they don't catch on the platform and throw your stitch off, and it is hard to get real close to the edge of the quilt when you are finishing up, but the speed of loading the quilt out weighs those two complaints.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:01 AM

Love my Red Snappers but there is a little bit of a learning curve. Can load a large king size in 15 mins. and no pin sticks. Yeah!!!!
Old 07-17-2014, 10:57 AM

Red Snappers, Leadergrips, and Mondo clips all work on the same basic principle. I've heard the same comment about all of them being kind of tight at first.

I bought a set of Red Snappers for half price from someone who decided she'd rather use zippers. A year later I bought another used set and sent it to my friend in Michigan.

Do some research into what product you think you'd like best, then look around in your local quilting community, you might find someone who's selling theirs cheap (and already broken in!).
Old 07-18-2014, 05:07 AM

I only mount the backing.Then float the top.I make sure I have extra backing.To float the top,baste the batt on to the backing.Use channel locks to get a very straight line.Then lay the top along the straight line and baste down.I usually have to pin every few inches to get it straight.Take a large square and make sure the corners are square,pin a little and baste down.I have a pink centering tape that keeps the sides square and baste them down as I advance the quilt.My quilts are always square when I take them off the frame.And also it is veasy peesy for my customers to apply binding when the quilt is basted all the way around.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:08 AM

I love the red snappers. That being said, It does require an extra inch or so of backing fabric as the dowel type insert int the hem of leaders takes a little more space. I absolutely can load a quil in under ten minutes. I also use the side leaders and find that I like them best when I add a piece of fabric to the sides and pin flat so it slides over my ruler base without catching. Just how it works for me. Best of luck.
carly in sc
Old 07-18-2014, 06:41 AM

I refused to pay the money for their system. I made a very serviceable set by using LED track from the hardware store and tubing from plumbing supply. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:50 AM

I have a set & wouldn't change back to pinning for any amount of money! I love them!