Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Grandmother's Flower Garden >

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Old 07-19-2014, 07:17 AM

I love it! How long did it take you to piece?
Old 07-19-2014, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

Nicely done!
Old 07-19-2014, 08:03 AM

Like the way you finished the quilt with its border. Grandmother's Garden was one of the first quilts I attempted. All hand sewn and hand quilted.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:23 AM

Since the GFG was hand stitched I had to have it handquilted. The ladiesat a retirement home handquilted it. Only 3 ladies worked on it. I had seen the work of all the ladies in the group and I requested certain ladies (3 ladies) to work on it and no one else. The quilting started in the center with the first row of stitching around the outside of the center hexie then it was one row of quilting around each circular row of hexie. It wasn't overquilted. Example of the quilting: On the bottom row, quilting was 1/4 inch outside the yellow, the next row of stitching was 1/4 inch outside the light blue, 3 row of stitching was outside the multi-colored blue, 4th row was outside the dark blue, 5th row outside the cream. I think they did a great job. There are sky fabric hexies beyond the flowers and as I explained above I had a strip of sky fabric to stabilized the hexies when I had to trim off the edges of the sky hexie seams. The quilting around the fence and gate is right at the edge of all the pickets.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:25 AM

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments. The title of the quilt is "Welcome to My garden". The surrounding fabric looks like sky with clouds.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:29 AM

I am keeping it for myself. As I was making the quilt, I sincerely believe that quilts talk to you. I knew that I wanted to make the GFG, There are so many out there and they are just the flowers. I wanted something different and that is when I thought about the fence. So the story goes on. I go on shop hop every year and I look for specialty fabrics. The fence looks like wood grain with the knot holes. Thank you.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

wow its gorgeous i like your background and the fence border great job!!!
Old 07-19-2014, 08:39 AM

Thank you. I did use the paper piecing, But when I started it, I had located plastic templates (50 to a package) by Brandi. I didn't want to make or copy all the papers needed to make it. I purchased enough so that when I was completely finished with the hexie part, I had enough plastic templates to stay in the quilt till I was ready to go to the next step. I made all the flowers first then arranged the flowers how I wanted them in the quilt and then joined them together with the green pathway. The green fabric has leaves on them with ladybugs.

Each of the flowers has Center, (in all flowers) plus 3 rows of different fabrics. The cream is in all flowers and the green is the pathway. There are 31 flowers with 3 different fabrics in each which means that there are 93 different fabrics used, plus the center, the cream and the green.
Good luck in you adventure.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:46 AM

A great quilt. I really like the tiny pieces and just the right blue surrounding-also the right green in my eyes.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:53 AM

Thank You, There are about 2 rounds of blue hexies around the flowers. At the top is only 2 rows of hexies but NO fence. Then I did strips of blue fabric to stabilize the hexies so that the seams don't come apart after I trimmed the edges to even out the edges.
As for finishing you quilt, explore the net. This might be the solution for you.
Found this youtube video if you want to keep the edges of the hexies intact. Neat technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwPe_84GBfY