Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Beans in the crockpot >

Beans in the crockpot

Beans in the crockpot

Old 07-19-2014, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
If it gets to boiling (212F) then you are OK. You can read more about it here, lots of links

https://www.google.com/search?biw=10...26.be3p2ZGugwI

The symptoms sounded so nasty I would not want to take a chance.
thank you ...thought about checking boiling temp ...needed to get out to work some more before too hot. but all of my crock pots boil...the newer 6 1/2 qt, older 4 qt and small 3 qt ...all reach boiling on high & when temp reduced they continue to boil or look like a low bubbling simmer

this is a great thread. i don't know how popular or how often crockpots are used anymore, but for summer or winter cooking...they are great. too hot to be out w BBQ ..crockpot. i always came home from work to a hot stew or pot of beans. when son small ..dinner not a biggie --put on crock pot and go out to play kick ball ) such a great invention!
Old 07-20-2014, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Edie View Post
I won't eat fava beans and I won't ever watch Silence of the Lambs again - nightmares forever!!!!!!!
Edie
Years ago, I was getting ready to catch a flight. This was before e-readers and I realized I had nothing to read on the plane so I dashed into the closest shop and picked up a paper back "Silence of the Lambs". I was clueless about the book. Got on the plane and started reading. Oh, boy! I was staying at a hotel outside Boston for a week and I did finish the book while I was there but I have NEVER watched the movie or the tv series. NEVER NEVER NEVER!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:11 AM

I have been cooking my beans in a crock pot for years, never had a problem. I start with the water as hot as I can get it! (I have an instant hot faucet). Wash my beans really good and I cook them on high setting. They are done in about 5 1/2 hrs and come out nice and pink!

Maria - Prescott AZ
Old 07-20-2014, 09:19 AM

Lucky for me I only use the red kidney beans once in a while, store canned ones that is in the sauce.Learn something new everyday, that for the link, ptquilts.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:30 AM

America's test kitchen just did a show on HOW to do it and have them turn out great. First of all if you don't want to let them soak all night then boil them for a few minutes and drain them well. This speeds up the cooking process too. You put them in the crock pot without salt until close to the end. Salt prevents them from getting as tender as they should. I've done beans in the CP without any issues too. One note, if you put a couple of bay leaves in the beans it helps prevent the stuff that causes gas.

Last edited by romanojg; 07-21-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:51 AM

I never cooked a pot of beans without burning them until I got a crock pot which was many, many years ago. The newer pots do get much hotter than the old ones. I took my old one to church and use it to keep food warm until time to eat. That way I don't have to carry the heavy crock back & forth from home.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
I to cook navy beans and pinto beans in the slow cooker never had a problem and they always turn out good with one good thing no gas like cooking them on the stove I use ham bones
Adding a couple of dashes of cream of tartar before cooking also helps alleviate the "unpleasant side effects" of beans.