I don't get it........

Old 12-28-2009, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pzazz
Originally Posted by Maksi
Originally Posted by Pzazz
We use paper napkins for day to day, but I like cloth for a sit down meal. I have, and use, some linen ones that were my granny's...and she has has been gone for over 30 yrs!!!

Sorry for this question but I don't understand. What is: "a sit down meal?"
In our home, that would be having the food set on the table in serving bowls and passed around for each person to help themselves. Everyone gets to sit together and enjoy the meal and each others' company.
Thanks for the answer. :) This is what we do every dinner. So a sit down meal is just eating the normal way.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:26 PM

we also have a compost bin. I also separate plastics, cardboard, etc. My goal someday is to be completely off the electric power grid. I want to have solar panels and a windmill. I can dream as these are quite costly.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:34 PM
pal

Maksi, most of us eat "the normal way" too. But when you have a lot of people over sometimes there isn't room for everyone to sit down at the table, so they help themselves to food, like a smorgasborg or a buffet or snacks, and they don't have a "sit down (at the table) meal"
Old 12-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

This is the kind of meal were always eat at the holidays. There just isn't enough table for everyone.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:28 PM

if we all used them we would use a lot less paper. The disposable diapers get me. People should go back to cloth diapers, towels, napkins.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by craftygma47
if we all used them we would use a lot less paper. The disposable diapers get me. People should go back to cloth diapers, towels, napkins.
Think I remember reading somewhere that most of our landfills will eventually be composed of disposable diapers. It would have been a real luxury to have them when my four stairsteps were growing up, but such things weren't available then. However, I do remember there being something very comforting about taking those diapers off the line, folding them, and putting them in a stack next to the crib. Always made me feel good. In the winter, I hung them in the basement, or over the radiators - depending on where we were living.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Disposible diapers absorb a lot more than cloth diapers. I wish they were around when my three kids were little, I would have used them. Grandkids don't get diaper rash with the disposibles. Poopy cloth diapers were no fun to clean.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
Disposible diapers absorb a lot more than cloth diapers. I wish they were around when my three kids were little, I would have used them. Grandkids don't get diaper rash with the disposibles. Poopy cloth diapers were no fun to clean.
Yeah, poopy diapers were always so much fun to dip into the toilet to rinse when the water was barely above freezing.... :D
Old 12-29-2009, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by redrummy
Originally Posted by pal
How come people don't use cloth napkins? And what are they
wiping their hands and mouths on? They use them in restaurants - why don't they use them at a sit down dinner
at someone's home? I checked the tablecloth, they didn't
use that as a napkin. Their sleeves? I didn't check their sleeves.
I took 14 cloth napkins out of their holders and re-washed them this morning. #15 was used - it was mine. I don't get it.
I had that problem here, till I wrap the silverware with the napkin, they have to unwrap it to use it, and I tell them, they are meant to be used.
This topic made me laugh as the same thing has happened at my house. We use terry cloth homemade napkins everyday, same as my Mom taught me to do. She's been a recycler from way back. Some of the ones I made 20 yrs. ago, finally got so threadbare, I threw them out a couple months ago. They were even too thin to go in the "ragbag". I do have more terry in a box, somewhere, to make more. I make my own double fold bias tape to sew on the edges. If I use a print that gives a solid color terry some bling, plus you can use different prints for different people and then they don't get mixed up. Sometimes napkins that match a tablecloth aren't very absorbant if they have too much polyester in them - maybe that's why people tend to not use them? Even if that's true, I still blot my mouth with them, since that is their purpose!
Old 12-29-2009, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Clothfiend
Originally Posted by craftygma47
Think I remember reading somewhere that most of our landfills will eventually be composed of disposable diapers. It would have been a real luxury to have them when my four stairsteps were growing up, but such things weren't available then. However, I do remember there being something very comforting about taking those diapers off the line, folding them, and putting them in a stack next to the crib. Always made me feel good. In the winter, I hung them in the basement, or over the radiators - depending on where we were living.
When my sons were babies 24 years ago, I started out using disposable diapers and soon switched to cloth to save money. I too liked the feeling of folding those diapers and putting them in a stack next to the changing table and felt I was doing a "good thing for our earth". Rinsing them out in the toilet was a bit icky at first, but I quickly got used to it. Breast fed baby diapers clean up much easier too. My sons never had diaper rash. I was a stay at home Mom and this prob. wouldn't work if the baby is sent to a daycare center. I'm sure they expect to use disposable diapers.