Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Computer crashed/possible idenity stolen >

Computer crashed/possible idenity stolen

Computer crashed/possible idenity stolen

Old 12-27-2009, 08:45 AM

Sorry, this happened to you. It seems when I had Norton I used to get a lot of viruses; especially those dang Trojans which were really hard to get rid of. Now we use McAfee.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:53 AM

Sorry this happened to you. Like the others said, keep a watch on your credit reports and credit cards for a while.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:12 AM

I'm sorry this happened to you. We had it happen three times when we lived in Colorado. Took almost a year for the one to clear up.
Anyway, during Thanksgiving weekend, I had a major virus attack my e-mails. My DH spent 3 - eight hour days on the phone with techs getting the problem cleared up only to have a smaller one return. Long story short-we did not have to get a new puter, we did get an external hard drive, we back up everything so did not loose anything, and now my DH is more careful about his e-mails and and which ones he opens. We think he sent me a bad one from someone else and that's how it started.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:56 AM

Thanks for sharing that story. I wonder how many people they have gotten with it :hunf: I hope they can trace it to whoever it is. I get emails by like PayPal or others stating my service on the computer is about to end so I need to send my info. Good thing I know where the delete button is. Its sad how many people fall for that. I hope the idiots behind all these scams get
their day of payment :twisted: (if you know what I mean)
Old 12-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

My friend at work got caught in the "you have a virus - click here to remove it" trap and her computer crashed too. Our IT guy was not a happy camper. I think he had to wipe it clean and start over. Glad you got to the bank as soon as you did.

I'd recommend checking your credit report REGULARLY - at least for the next 6 months.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dglvr
Thanks for sharing that story. I wonder how many people they have gotten with it :hunf: I hope they can trace it to whoever it is. I get emails by like PayPal or others stating my service on the computer is about to end so I need to send my info. Good thing I know where the delete button is. Its sad how many people fall for that. I hope the idiots behind all these scams get
their day of payment :twisted: (if you know what I mean)
Yes, if I get any of these type I hit delete, and if in doubt go to their official website and check if you need to update, etc....
Old 12-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

How horrible. I'm so sorry for you.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:53 PM

My anti virus program always sets a checkpoint when I download something. At first I hated it but then I picked up one of those annoying pop ups and I just went to my checkpoint and set it back a day and everything was back to normal. Same thing wiped out my dd computer. I also back up my files to an external harddrive.. The most I could lose is a day or two. I have seen too many people crying over lost pictures and stuff. It also keeps my computer running faster and less to defrag and such. Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

FOrgot to mention: Our IT guru told me that when one of those annoying spyware popups manages to get through, don't click on it (that alone may be enough to activate). Instead hit the Esc (escape) key.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:25 PM

In addition to getting the bank "hold" set up, and checking your credit reports regularly, the other things you should do are 1) file a police report, and 2) notify the credit bureaus that you need a fraud-lock on your accounts. That way if the scum try to do an end-run and get another account set up elsewhere with your info, it will be flagged and denied. The police report won't be acted on, per se, but will be proof that your identity was compromised and that you've done due diligence to notify them. Creditors would then not have a leg to stand on if they were to try to collect $ from you. Some police departments let you make a report like this on-line and it's pretty easy. Just a good thing to have in case this goes from bad to ugly to uglier before it gets totally resolved.