Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine sewing binding >

Machine sewing binding

Machine sewing binding

Old 07-27-2014, 01:43 PM

I have to sew my binding with machine. I was a floral designer for 30 years . I have had carpal tunnel in both hands, 2 trigger release surgery on 1 hand and 1 surgery on the other hand plus rotor cup surgery on right shoulder so you see what kind of mess I am in. My look real nice and besides if they are kids quilts they need this heavy stitching.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to this wonderful board.
I still prefer to machine sew my bindings to the front and hand sew to the back. Just what I like.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by patper View Post
Just discovered an amazing way to do it, from Nancy's Notions serger techniques book. First, trim the edge of the quilt layers to even things up, then use fusible thread in the lower looper, and sew the binding to the edge of the quilt, raw edges together, binding on the top. When you fold the binding over to the other side, gently iron it down on that side of the quilt. Voila! No pins, no basting, and best of all, no moving! I attach all this with the back of the quilt up, then fold to the front so I can see where I am going to stitch. I use some sort of a "bridging stitch" that sews into both the binding and quilt on the front side. If you don't have a serger, I think you could still do the same thing, with a zig zag stitch, and fusible hand-wound onto your bobbin. Corners are no problem. Sew to 1/4" of the corner, loosen needle threads, wiggle it off the loopers, do the usual 45-degree folding technique, turn the quilt, and sew the next side. I will never return to the old way. This was so quick, reliable, and effective on the entire queen size quilt I just finished.
I haven't heard of fusible thread, is this something new or just something I haven't learned about yet. I see you said it was in a book, do you know if there is a video about it?
Old 07-27-2014, 05:44 PM

I machine stitch to the front, flip to the back and use a washable glue stick to glue down just covering the stitch line, then stitch down from the front side (the side I want to look the best) by STID... it catches the binding on the back side, but not by so much that it looks sloppy.....it takes a bit more work to glue down the binding, but well worth it.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:43 PM

I feel the same. After dealing with it for 5 years, and trying every noninvasive method known to science while I continued to suffer and be impaired, I decided to have surgery. The results were amazing and immediate. I had the first complete night's sleep in all those years, with none of the "bugs crawling inside my arm" sensations. One of my best decisions. If you choose this route, make sure you get a hand surgeon, not just a regular or plastic surgeon. I also opted to have him open up the wrist, not do it laparoscopically (sp?). He said he did not endorse doing it through a teeny hole. He wanted to "see what he was doing". Don't wait for permanent nerve damage.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I machine stitch to the front, flip to the back and use a washable glue stick to glue down just covering the stitch line, then stitch down from the front side (the side I want to look the best) by STID... it catches the binding on the back side, but not by so much that it looks sloppy.....it takes a bit more work to glue down the binding, but well worth it.
This is the way I do it. I used to use pins, but I found I missed more places that way, and I really didn't like getting poked!
Now I do like Buckeye Rose: Stitch to the front, iron that open carefully, and flip to the back. But I use washable glue to hold the binding on the back as I want it: just covering the stitching to maybe an eighth of an inch past it. No more than that. The corners need a little more glue to hold the folds down. Iron as I go to set the glue. I put the ironing board on foot of the bed and put the quilt onto the bed. No pulling, tugging or falling quilt. Then when I turn it over, I can stitch in the ditch and almost never miss anything.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:25 PM

I always machine stitch my bindings now. With practice, one can really get it down to a science. I use 2 1/2" wide binding, folded in half, then I stitch it at 3/8" (instead of 1/4") on the BACK first. I then fold it around to the front, and line up the edge of the folded binding exactly with the stitching line that I just did. I then straight top stitch on the binding. I surprise myself how well this works on the back as well, so that the topstitch line pretty well hits at the same point on the back. I am totally satisfied with the finished product. I often use the faux piping binding, which gives a lovely look to the binding. BTW, I don't use pins or glue.....I just use 3 Wonder clips (I think that's what they're called) when I get to the mitered corner.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by robinred55 View Post
If only we had Elmer's here in Oz.

Thanks all for your replies. I now have a plan of action and since the quilt is for me it's ok if there's a mistake or two in it.
I'll post a photo when it's finished.
You may not have Elmer's but I bet you have washable non toxic school glue of some kind. What do young children use - non toxic washable glue. Buy one and try it on a pice of scrap. Let it dry, naturally or by ironing it and throw it in the wash and see what happens. It it washes and does not damage your fabric you are good to go. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:26 AM

I just found a machine binding method with a faux piping. You cut two strips (if you usually cut your strips 2-1/2", you cut one 1-1/2" and one 1-3/4". Sew strips together, then turn them right side out. Match the edges, and press. This will give you a 1/8" faux piping. Sew on the back, piping fabric facing out. Join with whatever method you usually use. Then fold the binding to the front of the machine. Stitch in the ditch at the piping, mitering the corners as you stitch. I haven't used this method yet, but I've shared it with several quilting friends, and we are all planning to use it on our next quilt. I have a tutorial with pictures in .pdf format, so if you would like a copy, PM me.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:42 AM

I was diagnosed with CTS in 1997, but with ergonomic aids, I had been able to put the surgery off for 7 years. I had talked with several people who had surgery and all of them said get it done as quickly as possible. So I did. I had the surgery done on both hands back in April and May of 2004. I was amazed after the pain of the incision went away that the CTS pain and numbness were gone. I agree with llong; get it fixed fast.

Also, in 2004, when I talked to the hand surgeon about CTS surgery and he did my tests, he diagnosed that I also have cubital tunnel syndrome, which is the same as CTS, but the "tunnel" is in the elbow. Once again, using ergonomic principles and aids, I am happy to say that I don't have pain or numbness, yet. As soon that happens, I will be the first in line for surgery.

Originally Posted by llong0233 View Post
Why do you live with bad carpal tunnel pain? The surgery to fix it is fast, easy and, for me anyway, painless. I encourage you to look into it having it repaired. You may not be aware, but at some point it will be beyond repair and could cause very serious problems in the future.