Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
AccuQuilt Go? >

AccuQuilt Go?

AccuQuilt Go?

Old 07-30-2014, 04:42 AM

I love mine but I only use it for the hard to cut shapes. Squares and strips I can do myself. I cut out the tumblers in a couple of hours (because I was looking for scraps as I cut) and made a shower curtain
Old 07-30-2014, 05:15 AM

They are nice, just be sure you can afford to purchase more dies as you go, they can be very pricey and now I understand the company is not allowing dealers to have sales without their say so. I have one and wish I had known more before I bought it. That said they do a good job.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:54 AM

Does anyone know if Accuquilt sells just a one heart die? I have the Go and the three- to- a -die heart die but my about to be DIL wants single hearts cut out, 300 of them in all. I've tried using just the largest of the hearts on the die I have but it seems to take forever. If they offer, or even another company, offers a single heart die I might be interested. The hearts will be sewn together with wildflower seeds in between as favors.

I like my Go but don't use it nearly as much as when I first bought it. I do like the way blocks line up using the machine.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:26 AM

I asked about the Accuquilt here in the board a while back too - with all the positive comments I did purchase one through Amazon, a package deal with lots of additional dies included. I'm really happy with it so far, and I'm looking at each quilt pattern through different eyes - I'm really looking forward to Bonnie Hunters Mystery Quilt for this year - (November or so) hope my Accuquilt will be a big help with it!
Old 07-30-2014, 06:51 AM

I love my GO and will let you have a laugh at my expense. I was getting ready to put the last border on a quilt I was working on. I hadn't used my GO in awhile and was nearly brain dead but determined to finish the quilt Monday whatever. So I grabbed the cutter and my 6 1/2" strip cutter. I wanted to cut the strips LOF so I folded my fabric and cut the piece I wanted to cut first. I put the fabric on the die, loaded it on the cutter and cranked it through. No cuts, nothing. I tried this several more times refolding the fabric. Nothing. I thought for a nanosecond about looking online to see what the problem might be but rejected that in favor of just getting it done. I'm getting ready to cut the last strip manually when I burst out laughing. Duh-must use the mat on top of the fabric in order to cut it-oh well... They don't call me blondeslave for nothin'.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:17 AM

I just bought mine and DH and I were amazed at how easily it works. I cut a huge amount of 2" squares in just a very short time and they were perfect. I know they aren't cheap so I am careful what dies I will buy and I am always on the lookout for sales. I love mine so far.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
There are TONS of threads on the Go her on the forum.. Just search and you can see all the responses from the members...

that being said I am a GO owner.. I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine.. I love mine so much i have two.. I got mine when they first came out so Ive had mine for years and years.. I have almost all the dies.. the appliques are not my favs. but i do like the specialty dies : DWR, Drunkards Path, blazing star. Etc.....

Some will say the dies are expensive but quite honestly Ive had dies that i used more than others and they still are like new that Ive had for over 5 years... i ask for dies for dies for holidays, birthdays, moms day, valentines day.... Amazing how many one can accumulate that way !!

the Mats IMHO are disposable... I buy mats by the bulk.. I dont think they are expensive at all. I have to have a back up mat to the back up mat.. I will always have 3-4 of each size i use on hand... Once the grooves get too deep ill change the mat, HOWEVER if its a larger mat Ill use that USED mat for a smaller size die- the blades dont meet with the grooves.. and of need be ill cut down to size if they havent cracked... Buy the white mats the grey ones are crap.. ill get 4x more use with the white versus the grey...

Suggestions:
clean dies - remove threads
periodically wipe dies with a moist towel to keep them pliable
buy mats on sale even if you dont need them now- keep back up mats on hand..
dont use more than 2-3 layers on new dies until they are broken in
move mats over a smidge when running multiple times to keep from getting deep grooves
make sure the fabric placement isnt stretchy side going thru rollers
but mostly enjoy and have fun..

my fav dies
2x2
2.5x2.5
brick
large tumbler
ALL rags
luvtoqult, great information! Thanks so much! I wouldn't be able to do half of the quilts I do without my GO.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:12 AM

Thought i would just mention that i have a 'Big Shot' and although there aren't as many dies they are certainly catching up, I have quite a few and of course they are soooo much cheaper than 'Go' dies, they've just bought out some large dies, worth looking at if like me you can't cut a straight edge even with a ruler.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:26 PM

luv TooQuilt - love your hints.

I also have the AccuQuilt Go and love it: saves my hands, back, and legs when cutting; really accurate!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by eastslopequilter View Post
My 2 1/2 inch strip die buckled and is unusable. The others are OK. I don't think that I would buy another strip die.
I have seen several post about someones die buckling, they all called Accuquilt and were sent a new die at no cost. You might want to call them about it. BTW I love mine!
jeri