....need help finding info

Old 07-30-2014, 02:32 PM

Default ....need help finding info

Hello! I just joined this forum today with the hopes somebody might be able to point me in the direction of how to find out new information on my 2 "new" machines. Mostly looking to find out how to figure out what size bobbin! Thanks so much
I am hoping the pictures attach since I'm not to sure how to!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sewing machines 010.JPG
Views:	1026
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	485693   Click image for larger version

Name:	sewing machines 009.JPG
Views:	1134
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	485694  
Old 07-30-2014, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by saraw82 View Post
Mostly looking to find out how to figure out what size bobbin!
Welcome to QB Sara.
They both look like 1960s Japanese clones. The second uses long shank feet (industrial), the first short shank (extremely common for domestic machines). I'd first of all try out a class 15 bobbin (the one with the holes all the way round). If that doesn't fit, try a class 66. The 15 is bigger so if it fits, it'll be the right one. If it's too big, the 66 is a little narrower.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:50 PM

Oh thanks! I was getting so confused since I haven't seen either of these ones in pictures. Just got out the domestic one to use and realized there is a short in the wire for the foot pedal so now to find out how to fix this problem! I am in love with all my old machines! I also have a lady kenmore in a cabinet!
Old 07-30-2014, 03:57 PM

I can't help you with the old machines. I have my mom's 1949 Singer treadle which I learned to sew on, but that's it. I did want to welcome you to the board from beautiful western NC.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by saraw82 View Post
Oh thanks! I was getting so confused since I haven't seen either of these ones in pictures. Just got out the domestic one to use and realized there is a short in the wire for the foot pedal so now to find out how to fix this problem! I am in love with all my old machines! I also have a lady kenmore in a cabinet!
When I said industrial I meant the feet are, not the machine. I've only seen them on a few domestic machines (always Japanese) but that machine is definitely domestic.

The foot controllers are not complicated, particularly the non-Singer ones which normally have coiled wire providing the required resistance to the AC current (the Singers have a large pile of very thin carbon discs packed into a ceramic case).
The usual problem with wiring is that the wire casing cracks and flakes off over the decades. The way to repair is to simply match the length and gauge of wire and replace. Also, if one has degraded the rest are usually not far behind. The other common problem is that someone has re-wired it. This can happen for many reasons, but idiocy is usually at the top of the list
Seems obvious but when you're fixing wiring remove the plug from the outlet first, and use a digital camera to take pictures of the wiring and position of anything you might want to remember. It's easy to delete them afterwards but they'll save you a lot of time if you need them.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

On those machines if the machine has a bobbin case it is likely a class 15 bobbin. If it is a drop in bobbin it is likely a class 66 bobbin. There are other bobbins out there but that is what is likely and a good place to start.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:42 PM

Welcome saraw82. Rewiring the foot pedal is easy; just take your time and take pictures for reference
Old 07-30-2014, 05:50 PM

saraw82,

Welcome to the QB.

Both machines will take Class 15 bobbins and common 15x1 needles.
The top machine uses Low Shank feet and the bottom machine uses High Shank feet. Neither are Singer clones nor are they industrials. Nor do they use industrial feet. Some High Shank industrial feet will fit on the bottom machine, but the feet normally used are not industrials.

You can get bobbins, needles, and feet for both machines at Sew-Classic { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/ }.
Sew-Classic also has tutorials on how to tell what feet you have on your machines. Plus they have wiring set ups to replace the old worn out wiring.
I'm not affiliated with Sew-Classic, just a very satisfied customer.

Joe
Old 07-30-2014, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Nor do they use industrial feet. Some High Shank industrial feet will fit on the bottom machine, but the feet normally used are not industrials.
I used my industrial high shank feet on my Japanese domestic. They were definitely interchangeable.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:38 PM

Mike, didn't mean to come off as a know-it-all, just saying what I know about feet. Yep, some industrial feet will work on High Shank machines. Wait, I think I said that .... didn't I??

Joe