Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help please >

Help please

Help please

Old 08-01-2014, 08:36 AM

I agree with roserips, Look for skirts, shirts and other items make from clothing weight denim rather than the denim used for jeans. These are easily recycled by deconstructing and using the fabric thus gained, and the fabric is much lighter weight and easier to handle than jeans weight denim.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:45 AM

my friend made a denim rag quilt using warm and natural for the batting and took leftover squares and made me a quilt wth denim on one side, warm and natural batting, and a neat cowboy print regular cotton on the back. that sucker is heavy and it barely covers my full size bed. I seldom use it because it's so heavy. I pull it out in the coldest part of winter (maybe in the 20s tops) here in Houston but it's so heavy. fleece isn't too heavy but is hot. my dad was happy with cotton top quilted onto fleece - says it was warm and wasn't too heavy. my mom asked for a string quilt for them to use on their king size bed- I did just regular cottons onto muslin and used a poly batting so it wouldnt' be heavy and my dad woke up in a panic because he couldn't get it off him
Old 08-01-2014, 09:46 AM

also watch out with the stretchy denim - my friend said those were hard to keep square with the lycra or spandex they add
Old 08-01-2014, 10:07 AM

It sounds like your dad is remembering having layers of quilts to keep him warm when he was a kid. When the quilts were filled with wool blankets or heavy cotton instead of synthetic materials as they are today. A friend of a friend wanted me to make him a quilt using an old wool blanket in the middle - the colder the night the more quilts were layered on top. We had them too because my grandmother's uncle had been in the calvary and had several of the blankets. They didn't know what to do with them so my great-grandmother used them for batting in a quilt. As a child it was a secure feeling snuggling under a couple of quilts. Now I am afraid I would roast. Also, we had a very fluffy quilt when I was a kid - it was store bought but was thick and fun - no idea what was inside of it, just very puffy.

Did you ask him why he was so specific?
Old 08-01-2014, 11:35 AM

All input has been great. I would also suggest that you make him a fleece throw to use as he relaxes in his chair watching TV or napping. You can even make it double sided fleece if you want to. I am talking about the kind that the fringe is tied around the throw. They are very light weight and very warm.

I bet he will enjoy every thing about the fleece throw.......................of course while he is enjoying this.... you can be making the quilt (per your own knowledge) for his bed.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

I would think that the quilt would be unbelievably heavy using batting, fleece and flannel backing. My SIL has made quilts from old denim jeans cut into squares, sometimes she even added the pockets from jeans, then she tied the quilt with a flannel backing. I slept under 2 such quilts once (I was really, really cold) and they were definitely warm, however, I could barely move under them. I agree with nanna-up-north - make it "your" way, certainly the denim top and flannel backing would make a nice, warm quilt, and just not tell him what you did, he'll probably never know and at 78 years old he doesn't need a quilt so heavy he cannot move under it. Just a thought.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:38 PM

I'd ask if he wanted two regular quilts instead. The one he wants is going to be really warm. With 2 thinner ones he could adjust how warm he wants to be easily. He'll probably notice if you don't make it the way he is requesting. I wouldn't try to fool him.
Rodney
Old 08-02-2014, 02:35 AM
Power Poster

You might try some light weight denim looking cotton and flannel put some minky or wool between layers of batting for warmth and tie it. He wants the masculine look and he wants the warmth. Heavy is not necessarily warmer. He might be happier with 2 quilts rather than just one. If he has two he can take one off if he is too warm. The second quilt could just be some denim jeans pieced etc. and then backed with something or you could make it so the other quilt fits inside the pieced jeans for just a cover for the other quilt - that way it can come apart as needed.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:47 AM

Hi Calla
I was browsing and have noticed your beach quilt twice, I have just put together a quilt top for my surfer son and included these very same beach ladies in it. This fabric was given to me by a quilter friend, she has the beach ladies panel quilted and framed and it hangs in her toilet in her beachside home. Love It! Vicki
Old 08-02-2014, 03:37 AM

I also would go with Denim look chambray with flannel for the back. Quilter's Dream wool is beautiful to work with, light weight and warm for batting.