Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bindings >

Bindings

Bindings

Old 08-02-2014, 05:03 AM

Why not let it be your "signature"? In years to come your quilts may be identified by this very technique!
Old 08-02-2014, 05:21 AM

No one ever told Jinny Beyer that sewing the binding on the back first and then the front was wrong because that is how she does all of her quilts... And by hand too... No machine quilting on any of her quilts. Look up her quilts on her website. You are in good company.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:52 AM

Don't let anyone make you feel bad about the way you do your binding. You have been given good advice about what you have done. Enjoy your work and continue on! After all, you have given 12 away already and I'll bet not one has come back for a different binding. Don't beat yourself up! Enjoy the finishing of a project and move right on.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:00 AM

Like everyone has already said, there is no right or wrong in quilting. LOL But it really comes down to, will it drive you crazy every time you see it, change it. If you won't see it and it doesn't really drive you crazy, leave it and move on.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
So far in my quilting career I have only made 13 quilts and on every one of them I have put the binding on backwards by folding it to the front rather than the back. Until today I was so please with each quilt and while knowing they weren't perfect I knew I had done the very best job I could. However, it was a real downer this afternoon when reading an article about binding quilts I discovered that all of my my quilts had a major mistake. All but one of these quilts have been gifted. I still have #13 with the backwards binding completed.
Since I hand sew my bindings using a blind stitch should I take the binding for #13 out and correct my mistake or
just look the other way and do things right on future quilts? As an FYI, #13 is a queen size quilt.

I just finished my first full size quilt. I originally machine sewed the binding to the quilt to the back, then turned to the front and topstitched, but I was not pleased with the outcome. I then removed the topstitching and completed the binding by hand stitching. It is finished on the topside of the quilt and looks fine. The binding is much neater than previously done.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:15 AM

There are all kinds of ways to add a binding...and none are unacceptable. (Well, I guess a raw edge might be ) Just look at some YouTube tutorials, there are numerous ways. If you enjoy doing one way and I enjoy another, who can say one is wrong? I venture to say yours look fine! Keep smiling and quilting!
Old 08-02-2014, 10:06 AM

as I have told so many of my students, if it looks good and you are not entering the quilt in a show, don't sweat it. The only person who will know will be you. The person receiving it will be (should be) so happy to receive a handmade gift from you - they will never notice it or just figure it adds to the charm of a handmade present.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:30 PM

I totally agree, you are not doing anything wrong!! If you were, I'd be also, lol, and I know I'm doing mine just fine!! LOLOL
I ALWAYS stitch to the back first. I am also one who machine stitches the entire binding, due to physical problems I just can't manage hand sewing more than a very small amount.
Carry on! Have fun! Ignore anyone who tries to tell you there is only ONE right way!
Hugs and smiles!
Old 08-02-2014, 11:10 PM

Remember this is your 13th quilt done beautifully, not the 13th floor of a building with the superstitions that go with that LOL
Old 08-03-2014, 08:32 PM

I've usually always sewn to the back and stitched to the front. This way I know the front looks perfect to ME. And that's all I worry about!