Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
mixing really old blocks with new >

mixing really old blocks with new

mixing really old blocks with new

Old 08-02-2014, 01:21 PM

Can you use just the blocks that were appliqued and fill in the rest with single fabric blocks, ideally every other block, but multiple blocks surrounding each of the appliqued blocks could work, too.

Or make the appliqued blocks larger with a border? And if necessary add single fabric blocks?

Whatever you do, I'd recommend using either a solid color for opposing blocks or a reproduction fabric.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:41 PM

I have some others that are cut out and ready to applique...just need to get more muslin then have I guess 3 different muslins LOL. hadn't thought about single fabric blocks...that's an idea
Old 08-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt938 View Post
I can trim or add borders- the smaller ones have darker and more brittle looking muslin than the others - the other muslin feels more supple/soft - the other isn't. wondering if I should put more muslin behind it just in case or as someone suggested earlier remove the applique and put on new muslin. just don't know. the difference in color/texture is a bit more obvious in person I think. or maybe add a newer muslin to the smaller darker muslin blocks to make them bigger?

squirrelfood that's a beautiful horse!
Oh, thank you very much! He's my pride and joy, Arabian cutting horse stallion, and best bud.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:29 PM

I would be leery of using the brittle-looking muslin as is. It probably won't hold up as well as the rest of the quilt. I'd consider one of 2 things. 1) Carefully remove the Sues from the muslin and reapply them to a larger piece of the new muslin when you get it. or 2) Back the brittle blocks with the very thinnest iron-on pelon you can find. I've done this and it worked fine, then cut the other blocks to size.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:52 AM

Thanks! I hadn't thought about Pelion!
Old 08-03-2014, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by joyce blint View Post
I would be leery of using the brittle-looking muslin as is. It probably won't hold up as well as the rest of the quilt. I'd consider one of 2 things. 1) Carefully remove the Sues from the muslin and reapply them to a larger piece of the new muslin when you get it. or 2) Back the brittle blocks with the very thinnest iron-on pelon you can find. I've done this and it worked fine, then cut the other blocks to size.
I have "rescued" vintage blocks and both of these ideas work. It would be great if you finish a project using those. I think they're charming.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:59 AM

so I just buy fusible pelon and iron the blocks to it to stabilize? never used the stuff except for a quilt in a day sunbonnet sue project where we flpped it and used the pellon to stick to the background fabric while we appliqued
Old 08-03-2014, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by quilt938 View Post
so I just buy fusible pelon and iron the blocks to it to stabilize? never used the stuff except for a quilt in a day sunbonnet sue project where we flpped it and used the pellon to stick to the background fabric while we appliqued
Be sure you select thin (light-weight) pelon, or it will add too much weight to the quilt.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:05 PM

I am very nostalgic about these things. In order to keep the original stitching and remove the brittle background, this is what I would do: I would trim around Sue about 1/4 inch all around (She would have a quarter-inch halo of background all around her), then I'd press the background completely under Sue so that it did not show at all, and hand applique it to a new background. Does this make sense? BTW those blocks are adorable.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I am very nostalgic about these things. In order to keep the original stitching and remove the brittle background, this is what I would do: I would trim around Sue about 1/4 inch all around (She would have a quarter-inch halo of background all around her), then I'd press the background completely under Sue so that it did not show at all, and hand applique it to a new background. Does this make sense? BTW those blocks are adorable.
This is what I would do also!