Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting YBR >

Quilting YBR

Quilting YBR

Old 08-02-2014, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I did this yesterday! I quilted between the blocks (SITD). Once I had finished I ran two lines between--in some parts these lines were SITD, but others were not. Basically a grid that turned out the size of the smallest square in the blocks. I would have preferred to FMQ,but my skills aren't yet up to it.

Edited to add: Oh, and I used my walking foot. My quilt is flannel top and back, so the walking foot really helped.
I posted a picture that shows how I quilted mine:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t251234.html
Old 08-02-2014, 04:29 PM

Jeanne, thanks so much for your photo.... not sure if I have the courage to try it that way or not. I have used my serpentine stitch before and was happy with those results. I have a few tops sitting waiting for their turn...maybe one will jump the line so I can try this.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:37 PM

Jeanne and Angelia, thanks so much for posting pictures. They are beautiful. When I finish my YBR I will try posting a picture.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Power Poster

I just want to make it clear that there is a difference between (1) using the serpentine stitch on your machine and (2) quilting wavy lines with a walking foot. The wavy lines are made with a straight stitch and a walking foot, but you move the fabric to the right and left as you sew. With serpentine stitch, you are basically sewing a straight line but using a stitch that creates waves to the right and left of your stitching line. Both are useful, but the look they create is quite different.

Hope this is clearer than mud......
Old 08-03-2014, 03:27 AM

OK, I give up. I am not in the loop, outcast, whatever, but thank you very much, I have no intention of learning a bunch of initials. I am completely lost in the initials and believe me, I am not a snob, I just can't understand why us housewives, mothers, office workers, senior citizens, grey panthers, old folks, geezers, whatever you want to call us can't write out a few simple words that we learned when we were in the second grade.

I will always start my day with the Quilting Board, but there are initials I do not understand, and somewhere in the translation I totally lose what the person is talking about and I just go on to the next thread. I found out that I may be losing something that is important and that saddens me, but have we become so lazy that we can't spell out a word? I am OTD, proud of it, learning every day, will be celebrating my 76th birthday next month and I will not let initials interfere with my learning of new words - not initials. Oh, incidentally, OTD is Older than Dirt!!!!!!! (Just thought I would throw that in!!!)

I am always trying to find new words for my vocabulary and to spell them correctly. So far it is working, but perhaps somewhere along the line my mind will begin to fail me and I won't remember everything like I can now, except where I put my glasses, and I may have to revert to initials, but until then .......................... Edie
Old 08-03-2014, 04:33 AM

I HATE SID so don't so it. Because the seams lay in different directions it is almost impossible to stay exactly in the ditch. I use a serpentine stitch over the whole seam and it can be slightly off and no one will notice. I've used it on several quilts and I like it a lot for utility quilting. You can adjust the stitch for denseness and width to your liking.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:38 AM

Edie,
i understand your frustration. When I first found this board I thought it was in a foreign language half the time. Then I noticed the very first post under the Main section of this board is the same and titled Quilters Dictionary and Acronyms. If you take a moment to read it, it is a fairly comprehensive list of all the abbreviations/acronyms used by many in their posts. Many are quite humorous, It really helped me translate posts. I think the acronyms are used so frequently by many that no one thinks about them anymore. They can be a timesaver when pecking out a message on a tiny mobile phone keyboard if you are not on a full computer keyboard. Anyway hope that helps a little!
Old 08-03-2014, 05:38 AM

Someone mentioned quilting end to end on this topic so as not to have threads. I always thought that if I did'nt start in the middle and work out something terrible would happen. Is it true I can stitch end to end without diaster? That would be so much easier. I am getting ready to start quilting a king size thinking outside the block quilt and trying to figure out how to quilt it. I don't do free motion and I don't really like the quilting process on my domestic machine...so anything to make it easier would be great.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:40 AM

I've recently been using the wavy line and like it very much. Cross hatching works fantastic for some projects and while you have to watch carefully so you don't mess up it can be an enhancing way to quilt
Old 08-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Love the wavy lines!