Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with new cutting mat >

Help with new cutting mat

Help with new cutting mat

Old 08-02-2014, 12:18 PM

Default Help with new cutting mat

My sewing area needs a new cutting mat. The old one is an Olfa but I wanted to see if there are others I should at least check out. Saw an Omnigrid - looks like the Olfa but is there any real difference? I appreciate any help you can offer. All opinions welcomed!!!
Old 08-02-2014, 12:47 PM

Saw a couple large ones (approx 3x4') for $30ish at Tuesday Morning the other day. They were white and I think the brand was Sullivan. Haven't heard of that brand, so don't know if it was a good deal. I only have Olfa's (because of coupons from Joann's). But I have had them for maybe 20+ years?
Old 08-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

I have the Sullivan one. It fits my big cutting table (drop leaf wood dining table) perfectly. I have all brands of cutting mats. I really like the Fiskars mostly for the pretty colors. I have many sizes of Olfa and Omnigrid, Polar, Martelli, June Taylor I have every flat surface in my sewing room covered with a mat. I can cut anywhere. LOL I found a clearance of the big Olfa mats at a discount store that was getting rid of the sewing notion aisle a few years ago and bought all the store had in the back for $3 each. My quilt buddies got great gifts that year for Christmas and I still have some never used.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

My first cutting mat was grey with orange print, almost impossible to see. I just went to look at it, to see what brand it is, but guess what - I couldn't read that tiny lettering in those impossible colors. The moral is, be sure that you can see the lines and numbers on the mat. Even if you don't use the lines for cutting, there are times when you want to line up with them. The other thing to be aware of is that some mats are not self healing, so they will wear out faster.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:48 PM

I bit the bullet and purchased a Martelli mat recently. I've been looking at it for a few years. I've owned just about all the brands out there and this is the cadillace of mats. Of course, it costs like a Cadillac, but it feels like butter and my rotary blades seem to last much longer.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:27 PM

Personally I've had good luck with Olfa. I have a couple that have been used a lot for a lot of years and they are still going strong. I bought a Fiskar mat that was part of a kit with the cutter, ruler etc. I took good care of it, storing it correctly and all and it warped. I've noticed them wavy in the store too. I would stay away from Fiskar mats.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:08 PM

My DH bought an Olfa mat for a gift many yrs. ago & I was pleased with it. When it got scruffy & I had problems cutting, I purchased a Miracle Mat. Cutting on that was worse than the old 1. A few months ago, Martell had a 50% sale on cutting mats so I ordered. Best thing I could have done. I have had a Martelli cutter for a yr. & with the Martelli mat cutting is now a pleasure. If you can, wait for their mats on sale or put it on a 'gift' list. They are well worth it.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:58 PM

I have an Alvin 36 x 48 and love it. Would not trade it for anything, except the Martelli cadillac, but money would not allow that one.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

I prefer the Omnigrid mat because it is physically much thicker than the Olfa. You can ONLY buy them online at JAF, they are longer sold in their stores. WARNING !! If you live in a very HOT area, do NOT order your mat online until fall or winter because it will be subjected to heat in a USP or USPS vehicle.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

A mat does wear out so when you see a low sale price on one buy it even if you don't need it right then. You will save money buying this way for pricey consumable items.