Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you sort small scraps? >

How do you sort small scraps?

How do you sort small scraps?

Old 08-04-2014, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

Same here and I use the mesh lingerie bags or even mesh potato sacks. lingerie bags are very inexpensive and totally worth the money.
Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I'm one for sorting by color and washing the pieces (even when small!!!!)

Then leaving the pieces as large as possible and storing them by color or theme until a project comes up for them - THEN cutting to size.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
I cut them up immediately using the Creative Grids Scrap Ruler Set. This has worked well for me and my very small sewing space. When I get a bunch of them I make a quilt.

I just love your scrappy quilt. I just bought the Creative Grids Scrap Crazy Ruler set. The gal that designed the rulers - Karen Montgomery - owns a quilt shop close to me in Pittsburgh and did a demo on them last week. Her first set were 8" blocks and she demo'ed the new 6" block set. Can't wait to try them.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

Anything larger than 5 x 5 inches goes back into the box with the big pieces. I mostly give small stuff to a lady at church who is on a limited budget.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:08 AM

I have never been one for small scraps, but just saw recently on Bee In My Bonnet site: http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com/
She saves anything over 1-1/2" x 1-1/2 " square. Cuts scraps to sizes she uses exclusively... 2-1/2 sq., etc. and saves them to a plastic bin...and throws the rest of scraps away. Makes for a neater sewing room.

I used to use zip-lock baggies (to see through) for all scraps of similar color (all reds or all pinks, etc.) but like the pre-prepared cuts better and place mine in a pretty basket on the desk or shelf.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:36 AM

I have three bins, small scraps, larger scraps and scrap yardage. Small is for pieces no smaller than a four inch piece and kept in color order, larger scraps can be up to a FQ and again in color order, and scrap yardage must be less than a half yard and color order. I also have a bin for odd charm squares which use for applique. When I first started quilting I kept everything, even if it were no bigger than a quarter. I've given that up, how many times do you need a piece the size of a quarter?
Old 08-04-2014, 07:58 AM

I am in the sort by color group. I use the clear plastic shoe-boxes and it's like having a rainbow on my shelves. Smiles.
I leave mine as big as possible also, however, when I do have pieces that are either square or strips of equal width, I keep them in separate containers for using as precuts. Example, when I have leftover binding strips, cut extra squares for block piecing and such, those go into containers of their own. Oh, and I have a container for the 'strips'; any long narrow uneven pieces all go into a larger bin together for strip piecing.

Last edited by wildyard; 08-04-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:18 AM

Solstic3 I use smaller strips to make string quilt blocks. The rest goes for stuffing pet beds which I give to the local shelter. At least it doesn't get thrown away and makes some animal feel a bit better.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:58 AM

I keep any bolts I buy on the bolts and yardage goes into a clear plastic container, sorted by color. Fat quarters go into one of my 3 drawer plastic containers sorted by color. Anything smaller than a fat quarter gets thrown into a very large bucket; if I need a small amount of a color I'll dig through it rather than snip a piece off of something else. When that gets full, I stop whatever I'm working on and start working on scrappy projects until the scraps are down to a dull roar again lol I do leave the scraps how they are until I work on a project, then will cut them down to the sizes I need.

I do have separate clear containers for Christmas, Fall, Halloween, Flannels, Batiks and batting scraps.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:00 AM

Chester the Bunny I am with you. If it is under a quarter of a yard or is a very odd shaped scrap, I cut the largest square (up to 10 inches) from it and then work down on the size of the squares using as much of the fabric as I can. I then store them in clear plastic shoe boxes marked with the size of the block. I figure I can always sort the color I need out of the size I want. Trouble is, I can't catch up with all the scraps I have to cut, they multiply faster than I can get them cut. If I could get them all cut, I would have a bunch more room in my sewing room. Right now I have at last two if not three plastic (large size) tubs full to do. Maybe after I have my open heart surgery and have recovered somewhat but still not able to do heavier stuff I can sit and cut on some of them.

At least if I need a certain size square or squares I have some cut that surely will work when I am working on a project.

Happy quilting to all and if anyone finds a way for keeping those scraps from multiplying when we aren't looking let me know.

themachinelady
Old 08-04-2014, 09:16 AM

I throw all scraps into a bin...
When I feel like cutting, I get my Accuquilt cutter out and go to town. Tumblers, 2 1/2"...
Or I just gift them to someone.
Kirsten